CD-ROM issue

fatk

Hi,

I am running mandrake 9.1 and my CD-rom works fine when i get prompted for a system disc. For example, it says please insert CD-ROM 1: Installation...etc. and when i put the disc in it reads it fine. However, when i put say an audio or another disc in, i have no way to access the disc.

This is what my fstab says

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hda9 /fileserver ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,noauto,exec 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda10 /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda6 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda7 /var ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

any other info, please let me know and i will do my best to get it.

Edited by fatk

Audio cd's are not mounted. You should be able to use an audio program.

When you put a cd into the drive, what happens? Could you elaborate? (smells like anautomount problem!)

Hello,

However, when i put say an audio or another disc in, i have no way to access the disc.

for an audio cd it's normal: see previous post. but what do you mean with "another disc in": a data one ?

Just in case, for data CDs:

your cdrom is not supermounted. is it on purpose ? there was a time supermount was a problem but it's rare now.

- If you don't use supermount you have to mount it manually: on a shell type:

mount /mnt/cdrom

then you can access it. to unmount it type on a shell:

umount /mnt/cdrom

- if you want your cd to be mounted/unmounted automatically then comment this line on your /etc/fstab (put a # in the front of the line):

#/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

and add this line

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdb,fs=auto,ro,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0 0 0

roland

Edited by roland

first off, thax for all the replies would have replied sooner, but i have no computer at work :wall: , now i will correct a few errors.

1. yes sorry, i forgot music ones can't be mounted...normally.

2. By other discs, yes, i mean other data CD's, see I don't have an icon to access the CD rom on the desktop, nor if i go into say /mnt/cdrom, it shows that there is nothing in there. Now before i posted i did try the manual mount, and that said that there was no medium, then like a dork Now, like i did say before, when the OS prompts me for a mandrake CD, everything works fine. just other non mandrake CD's.

when i installed linux, the box was going to be a server that would be availbe to everyone. so when i installed it i believe I chose the 'high' option for securty sense that is what it recommned for a web/mail/FTP server. but then i decdied to just have in internal and i went and lowerd the security down to level 1, or for the workstation, this was after the install. would that have casued the problem? (for the future)

And success, i first tried the manual mount and it didn't work, then like a dumby, i check the CD-rom and i left the audio one in there :wall::oops: . but however i changed it to data, and it mounted fine, then i decided well, try to supermount, and restarted the computer and it works fine now, data and audio. Thankx again to all.

Also, k one more question, do you do the same for the floppy too? would the code look like this?

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,ro,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0 0 0

or what else would change? again thanks guys for the help

Okay, I messed somthing up now......here is what happened

I decided to add another 40gigs of Hd space to the computer, I talked with a friend and he was like, oh yeah linux will detect it and all with be fine. Well he was right about that, but i ran into a problem now with the CD rom.....again. :wall:

i think that is is mounting in some weird spot, or something is not configured right.

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hda9 /fileserver ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb1 /jukebox ext3 defaults 1 2 <-New HD

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,ro,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda10 /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda6 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda7 /var ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

*and the '<---new HD' thing is not really in my fstab, just pointed it out to ya

As you can see, i manually went in and changed the supermount to match with what Linux had said the cd rom was...which was /dev/hdc. Now, when i am in the computer, and i try to read from the CD-rom i get this error....

-bash: cd: /mnt/cdrom: Input/output error

now when i try to 'cd' or 'ls' the rom does speed, with lights like it was reading, but no info. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem? Again thanks for your help

Edited by fatk

Did you change the position of your cdrom? Here is the nomenclature:

hda is your ide primary master

hdb is your ide primary slave

hdc is your ide secondary master

hdd is your ide secondary slave

According to your posted fstabs you changed your cdrom from Primary slave to secondary master, making your new hard drive primary slave. If you really did it that way, make sure you set the jumpers correctly on the cdrom for master, and on the new hard drive for slave.

yup did that, see before i added the second hard drive my it was like this

hda - Hard disk

hdb - CD rom

which i had the HD as the master and then the Cd, as slave

When I added the second HD, i moved the CD to the second IDE channel as the master and the second HD as slave on the first, linux seemed at first to pick it up like this

hda - HD - master

hdb - HD2 - slave

hdc - CD - Master (2nd channel)

I doulbed checked in the BIOS too, and all there seems to be fine. Which is why i remembered that i manually put the CD-rom as hdb, so i went and changed that to hdc to match with what linux said it was. But like i said that get that read error.

The only other possiblity is that the CD rom is in CS. Since the CD-rom has no label for it i knew i had it in slave before and i just moved it to the left since that is how my other CD roms where. Could CS mode do that? I just don't wanna screw it up any worse then it is, so if it could then i will try to the other jumper setting.

Please double check the junper settings. The machine can read the drive in the sorrect position, but the junpers will prevent the drive from communicating properly.

What I don't understand is what possessed you to move the CD-ROM from Primary slave to Secondary master when there is nothing to be gained except configuration problems.

The new HDD would have worked perfectly as Secondary master and is preferable because it makes communication between Hard Drives faster since they are not both trying to use the same cable path at the same time i.e. simultaneously. The same thing applies when you have two CD-ROM devices e.g. a DVD-CDROM and a CD-R/RW.

What did you expect to gain? Perhaps it would still be easier at this stage to fit the CD-ROM to its original position , put the new HDD in Secondary master and then take it all from there.

If you did a complete fresh Mandrake install then that is another matter. If you didn't then it might be an idea to do a "dummy" upgrade and this often helps to give a resolution to a lot of configuration problems.

Cheers. John (69yrs young)

Problem is fixed.

For starters every was fine with the jumpers, so that wasn't the problem. Also aussie, i didn't expect anything actually, it is just how i installed them. Cuz when i added the new hard disk I also moved the componets to a dfferent case, so when i connected them i just grouped them together. Also that hard drive was already set to slave, so yeah. You are right though, i didn't gain anything, but i wasn't trying to either.

As for the fix, i did just do a dummy install, just told it not to format my key paritions and everything was cool after that. Thanks again to all who helped. This site rocks for help, if you know anything now on apache settings, I am going to have a question there too. I am just full of them :D

Thanks again to all