MandrakeMove is out!

Darkelve

HOLLY COW!!!!!

That looks great. Looks like the PClinuxOS live or whatever it was called, but check out this line!

As a unique added feature, the MandrakeMove CD-ROM may be ejected to access content from another CD.

I don't know about PC linux, but that's certainly not possible with knoppix.

Out of curiosity, what if any relationship does this have with PClinux Live or whatever it was called??

You may well be right, I have always been impressed with him. You have to admit however, that gearing it specificaly toward use with a USB drive and bundling the retail version with one is very clever. I know there's nothing unique about doing that, but it's great marketing, and hopefully they got a good deal on the pen drives and will make some real money off it.

I'm also still very curious about whether you can eject the PClinux CD from the drive. As I said, you can't do that with knoppix (which I still use).

I don't want to download PClinux or mandrake move untill I know more because I'm on 56k so it means bumming broadband off a friend or spending a week downloading. :( :cry:

ONe more thing, and I'd like to know this about both, does it mount harddrive partitions as writable by default or is it like knoppix where everything is locked down unless you log in as root and change the permissions, which is a pain. If one of them mounts it all as writable, I'd be sold.

Also, do either of them install accellerated nVidia drivers?

Texstar's live cd has the nvidia drivers. None of the live cds mount hard drive partitions writable AFAIK. I think it's just a matter of safety and prudence since inexperienced people will often use live cds. With texstar's you have to explicitly mount as root; hard drive partitions are not mounted at all. I guess the presumption is that if your not smart enough to mount as root you'll probably just screw something up if your given write permission.

Texstar's live cd has the nvidia drivers. None of the live cds mount hard drive partitions writable AFAIK. I think it's just a matter of safety and prudence since inexperienced people will often use live cds. With texstar's you have to explicitly mount as root; hard drive partitions are not mounted at all. I guess the presumption is that if your not smart enough to mount as root you'll probably just screw something up if your given write permission.

Not only that, he also includes java, flash, winmodem drivers, and stuffs usually not included in download version of mandrake. He may take out ms fonts and decss stuffs out of the final product in order to be safe from copyright hounds, but he will still make it available from his repository.

As far as have to be root in order to mount hds, I think that was a bug in preview 4. Preview 1-3 doesn't have that bug since it uses a different naming convention for mount points. It should be fixed in preview 5.