Quake With OpenGL

SoulSe

So I want to install OpenGL Quake on my box and I have found several tutorials for doing this, I have a few quesions though, especially since I want to install it with OpenGL capabilities.

Firstly: I found the tut on The Mandrake Experience, does this install OpenGL Quake? Or just the old regular flavour?

Secondly: I found another tut that was written in '98 on happypenguin.org and in it was mentioned that in order to run OpenGL Quake you needed a Voodoo card. Does anyone know if the old binaries support nvidia cards?

I don't understand the complicated process of getting the twilight engine pumping if their are binaries available?

Please help me sos I can get fragging on my favourite 1st person eva.

I thought quake was a 3d accelerated game?

if you have opengl working on you system then there should be no problem

just use DOlsons tut

run glxgears should see some cogs moving

run glxinfo - look for "direct rendering"

My Direct Rendering is perfect, that's not what I'm asking.

There are three ways to run quake (1) on Linux:

1. The first set of binaries runs good old quake the way it was first produced.

2. The second set of binaries runs quake in a Window on your X system.

3. The third set of binaries are the way God intended it to be: Quake with souped-up Open GL support.

Now, the problem is that OpenGL Quake was written in the old days when a Voodoo card was king and I want to know if it'll run with my Geforce.

At least, this is the way I understood it. Take a look at the How-To on www.linuxquake.com

I don't see the need for a convuluted install if there are perfectly good binaries available...

Hi DOlson,

you might be right about having to make a new rpm for Mandrake 9, I tried to install the twilight rpm from your site and got the error

libasound.so.1 is needed by twilight-0.1.99-1

Or maybe I didn't do it right?

What is lha? I tried to urpmi it and it said everything already installed.

But when I did "whereis lha" I got no listing.

hmmm....

I don't know nuthin'.

I can't get it working! I followed the directions in 83mercedez' link to the T.

I unpack the binaries, but I can't execute glquake, here's what I did:

created /usr/games/quake

created /usr/games/quake/id1

copied the pak files into id1.

unpacked the binaries into the quake directory, I unzipped them all, but I can't execute glquake, as if it isn't there. Am I unpacking it correclty (# tar xzf glxquake.tar.gz)?

Ok, I got it working, but it is acting weird.

What I did was copy glquake into my /usr/bin directory and after that I could execute it, but it only works if I cd into my /usr/local/games/quake directory and then execute it! So I can't make a launcher for it on my desktop.

I'm a newbie, so I don't understand too much about symbolic linking and stuff (btw: I also tried making a symbolic link in /usr/bin with the same results).

Any suggestions?

That's good, at least it's working, what did you do different?

Here's what I would do now:(There is probably a BETTER way, but this works for ME)

1) right click on desktop

2) in the dropdown menu, pick "create new" then "text file".

3) Name it: quake.sh

4) open it with a text editor, and type:

cd /usr/local/games/quake

./glquake

5) close that file, right click on it , select properties, then permissions, then make a check in the 'Exec' box.

6) close it.

Now if you click on quake.sh your game should start.

Hey! That is a very good work around.

I actually thought of doing something similar, but I was used to .bat files from my windoze days, so I spent all day trying to figure out how to make a batch file in Linux, so now I know, make a .sh file - !important lesson for newbies!

Ok, so now I can play my favourite 1st person again, which is rad.

What I learnt from this thread: use the binaries in 83mercedes' link(awesome posts man!) unless you want to play quakeworld (doesn't work for that).

You might have to create a .sh file which will cd into your quake directory before running "glquake."

That's that then!

Hey! That is a very good work around.

I actually thought of doing something similar, but I was used to .bat files from my windoze days, so I spent all day trying to figure out how to make a batch file in Linux, so now I know, make a .sh file - !important lesson for newbies!

Ok, so now I can play my favourite 1st person again, with gl support and mouse look, which is rad.

What I learnt from this thread: use the binaries in 83mercedes' link(awesome posts man!) unless you want to play quakeworld (doesn't work for that).

You might have to create a .sh file which will cd into your quake directory before running "glquake."

That's that then!