Israel accelerates free software migration

spinynorman

Serves them right. Actually, they have partly brought this upon themselves. Without their heavy protest, FUD and deplorable business practices, a lot more people might never have heard of Linux.

But now, the snowball is unstoppable. And we owe this to everybody:

the distro builders, developers, inspirational leaders, legal counsel, contributors, business partners, advocates, community forums and mailing lists, ... it's a real ant nest.

Here and there I am beginning to read reviews of people using Linux wanting to use a windows-only app, just because they forgot they were not in Windows! To me, this marks a point after which the installed desktop user base is installed.

It is kind of ironic that this speed of adoption and interest would not have been possible withouth the resistance to M$ business practices and of their utter and complete arrogance. These kind of events will pave the way for other progress.

Longhorn will probably be specifically designed to play lock-in, but it will come too late...

Speaking about DRM, I read that Outlook had an option to only enable the mail sent to be read, to be destroyed after a while, not to be printed, etc. Say someone sends this to a Linux email client (let's say Evolution or Thunderbird), what would happen then?

Anyways, cheers for Mandrake, I hope they get the contract !

Speaking about DRM, I read that Outlook had an option to only enable the mail sent to be read, to be destroyed after a while, not to be printed, etc. Say someone sends this to a Linux email client (let's say Evolution or Thunderbird), what would happen then?

You have to use an MS reader, who knows whether they make one for linux. The idea is to stop people forwarding things that their bosses want to keep quiet.

Clearly though, if someone wants to leak information they are not going to be stopped. Even if they disable copy and paste, how are they going to stop print-screen?

Pointless feature to make the people paying the bills believe they have to use windows.

You have to use an MS reader, who knows whether they make one for linux. The idea is to stop people forwarding things that their bosses want to keep quiet.

You mean if I were on Linux and someone would send me a mail like that, I couldn't even read it!?

You mean if I were on Linux and someone would send me a mail like that, I couldn't even read it!?

If that is true, it will be typical of microsoft isn't it? Trying to own what used to be commodity stuffs and trying to convert open stuff into proprietary.