JAVA's cold and stale on Mozilla 1.6

SILVERPENGUIN

silverpenguin..........

as dragonmage noted, you are using a beta of Moz, so it's bound to be buggy.

if you scroll down a bit in the software forum here, you'll see several Mozilla/Java problem related threads. read through them & you may get a solution. a couple of quick thoughts though........

it's not wise to install a newer version of Moz over an older version. did you first uninstall your Moz1.4 & delete the Moz profile in your home directory before installing Moz1.6?

Moz is notorious for having Java incompatability issues. you need to make sure you have the correct GCC libraries & the correct verison of Sun Java for certain builds of Moz.

here's a link to the Moz1.6b issues/bugs page.......

Moz1.6 beta issues

here's a link to Moz1.6b Java installation instructions........

Moz1.6 beta read me

scroll down to where it says "java, plug-ins, & other extras" for Java specific info.

Chris

You are correct. I was just hoping that among all the problems it might have, that a simple java plug-in wouldn't be one of them . :(

Yes, I did remove it first. I think a book I read told me it was unwise to try to run an updated program over an old one. Thus....it went bye-bye! :jester:

Thanks for your help guys. I'm going to remove this version and go with a stable one. ......However, does that me I need to re-install the java software again as well?

silverpenguin,

i'm not sure how Moz1.4 is set up on the MDK9.2 cd's. i mean, i don't know if the Java is embedded & part of the install. what i would do is.......

uninstall Moz1.6 beta. since it was a tar.gz installation, just delete the main Moz directory (probably /opt/mozilla) but it could be elsewhere, depending on your install path. then, delete the ./mozilla directory in your /home/(user=you) directory. then install Moz1.4 from the MDK discs & try a Java page, or just click "help" "about plug ins" & that will show what plugins are installed (java among them) if it doesn't show Java is installed, get the Sun Java rpm from the downloads section in the forum here & install that. the rpm from here works without any sym-linking or path editing.

EDIT:

NOTE: if you do find that you need to reinstall Java, you will also have to point any other browser you might use (IE: Konq, Opera, etc.) to your new Java installation path.

Chris

Edited by chris z

well likely all you have to do is symlink the java modules to the right mozilla directory. when you installed 1.6b you broke/orphaned the old symlinks. it is a really easy task to do the symlinks and infact the mozilla plugin page should tell you how to do it.

using a prepackaged version of the plugin (ie a current rpm) likely may not work if the install paths are not not matching where they should install to for 1.6b.

basically my guess is that it is NOT a bug with moz.

sarah31 is correct........

if you didn't properly sym link the Java to Moz, that could be why it wasn't working. the instructions for doing that are in one of the Mozilla links i provided above. in a nutshell, you need to go to terminal->su to root> cd to /the/path/of/mozilla/plugins & type.......

ln -s /path/of/your/proper/java/package/libjavaplugin_oji.so

enter

(substituting all of thsoe silly /words/with/ the proper paths to your respective installation directories) might be worth a shot before you get rid of Moz1.6 if you haven't gone that route yet.

Chris

Edited by chris z

Oh...but how do I un-install Mozilla 1.6. Originally when I removed 1.4, I went to config/packaging/removesoftware. Now when I do search for Mozilla to remove it, nothing comes up.

you won't be able to uninstall it that way since you installed it via a tar.gz file. if you wanna get rid of Moz1.6, just delete the main Mozilla install directory. not sure where that would be on your system. it's usually in /usr/lib, but it could be elsewhere, depending where you untarred the file. if you're not sure, just do a search for it. you will need to have root priveledges to delete that, so the easiest way would be to do it is in Konqueror Super User mode. (kicker->applications->file tools-file manager super user mode then root password when asked) or, you can open KDEsu via terminal, su to root, & type.....

kdesu konqueror

enter

also, you will need to delete the hidden .mozilla directory in /home/user(you). if you don't have hidden file view enabled you won't be able to see it, so in Konqueror just click on "view" & check "show hidden files". you can delete this one as normal user, as it's in your home directory.

Chris

Finding the Mozilla files and folders you may want to delete is easy if you first first select

Start Applications -> Applications -> File Tools -> Find Files. This will open up KFind. In the part called NAMED, left click in it and simply type in mozilla ( lower case will do and make sure the star symbol is still there).

In the part titled Look In, select file:/

Click on Find and after a while it will give you a list of all files mozilla. It is a simple job then of going to those file sites and deleting them.

As said by another post, you will also need to use the "show hidden files" facility in View of Konqueror.

You may also have to go root to be able to delete some of these files.

Cheers. John (69yrs young)