When X goes down - so does my whole system!

phunni

I am running fluxbox on Mandrake 9.0. Whenever I exit fluxbox (and therefore X) my entire system becomes completely unresponsive. The Caps and Scroll lock lights flash and nothing else responds at all - except the on/off switch.

Any ideas as to what might cause this?

How do you start flux? Xtart, startx, autologin?

Have you checked what processes are running b4 you try to exit? Maybe one of the dm's are running, or something from Gnome, or KDE.

Are there any errrors in ~/.xsession-errors?

Do other wm's do this?

Can you Ctrl>Alt>F2?

I use Xtart to start fluxbox, although using startx leaves me with similar problems. I did look at the processes but could not spot anything obvious - although,in fairness, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for! :oops:

I also looked in .xsession-errors, and again I can't see anythnig immediately obvious.

I tried KDE to see what happens and there is no problem, so this is clearly a flux problem.

Once I have lost X I can do nothing with any input device - so no keyboard combinations work at all.

Hmm...well, the only thing I an think to do would be to rebuild fluxbox from src, being that it's fluxbox specific. Are you just trying to log out and in as another user, or drop into console for any number of reasons, or are you trying to reboot and/or shutdown?

I put

[exec] (REBOOT) {shutdown -r now}

[exec] (HALT) {shutdown -h now}

at the bottom of my flux-menu for this.

I don't know the command the wm's use to logout, but I'd guess it could be modified, and that my resolve your prob.

Do you mean when it crashes, or to exit fluxbox? If it's crashed then it's not good, if it hasn't then it does
to exit fluxbox, or restart X. Does Ctrl>Alt>F2 get you to console?

I don't have a wmshutdown?

In mcc (Mandrake Control Center) see if dm is running, if it is, uncheck for it to run at boot. It's for kdm, gdm, and maybe xdm, none of which you need if you're using Xtart.

You really have a thing about WineX don't you DOlson?!

Yes, and so do the people who are working their asses off trying to bring native games into the world of Linux users.

So do others: http://timedoctor.org/boycott_winex.php

Although the turn of conversation here has become slightly off topic, I have to say that I wasn't digging at you - I actually agree that it would be fantastic if there were more native Linux games.

Let me formally add my voice to the rebellion - Boycott WineX!