What makes audio cd's work? (xmms)

bvc

Totum is the only app out of countless in gnome/kde mandrake-cooker and suse9 that will play audio cd's. I'm baffled....completely. In SuSE9 it worked in several apps but now none after screwing with soundcards in YaST, so that doesn't really suprise me I guess though quality still stinks and sound still works, just not audio cd's. Mandrake-cooker? Yeah, I know but audio cd's has only worked in Totum since 9.2rc2>9.2 via cooker>and even now with cooker. I've installed every app/lib....only Totum :juggle::help:

Well.. since you are more of a guru than me, I am even more baffled than you. But here's a wild suggestion. Have you checked whether the settings in your applications are correct, like putting the cdrom device into the correct /dev/cdrom or /dev/scd* ?

yes, apps point to the rt locations and the cli shows no errors. Xmms and some other apps even load/read the cd's and they work in win2k.....then they play them....the bar moves like they are anyway, there's just no sound coming out of the speakers.

Now, in win2k, I uninstalled nero>rebooted>installed EZ CD Creator>rebooted>no dvd or cdrw :o :devil: what the..... :angry: Device mgr says win2k can't load the drivers so I've updated the drivers then it says they're already installed>reboot>no cd devices. So, I remove the hardware?reboot>win2k says it has instaled new devices and need to reboot>reboot>no devices. They work in win98, ml, and suse9 still though but still no audio cd playback.

This is nuts :thumbs:

I'm :zzz:

yeah, checked that to, but what would be diff? I mean, in tha past, the CD Volume and others were useless and I could disable them. I enabled them just to see but still no go. I have a feeling it has something to do with that though because audio cd's worked in kscd in suse9 b4 I messed with sound in YaST to try and improve the quality. However, I've switched soundcards and reloaded the default setting and it's still a no go for either soundcard.

via8235 (onboard)

sb 16 pci

Found the win2k prob. Seems nero made some reg setting it decided not to remove when uninstalled even though this has been a known issue for sometime. And they'd wonder why I won't give them money, huh?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...Product=win2000

I'm a bit embarrassed :woops:

cable is fine.

For xmms I had AudioCD Reader and CD Audio Player plugins installed, and to top it off....both enabled :unsure: :woops: :lol:

AudioCD Reader didn't work though it may have with CD Audio Player uninstalled but CD Audio Player worked digitally as usual. Uninstalled AudioCD Reader. GnomeCd still doesn't work but all I need is xmms and totum still works as well.

Haven't messed with suse9 yet.

Yeah! :D