MDK 9.2 and Evolution

Mouth

Base rpm install of Evolution 1.4.4 with MDK 9.2. Evolution runs extremely slow, to the point of 'pausing' (unable to do anything else) whilst it occurs. I can send an email and it (Evo) will 'pause' whilst it writes it to the outbox, or during the type of a new email it will 'pause' and I'll be 5-8 words in front of it and then it will suddenly display the text I typed, etc.

I updated to 1.4.5 via norlug rpm but no difference, same sort of pausing.

Anyone able to help out with what may be the cause?

I'm using KDE, don;t experience this 'pausing' with any other aps, so I belive it's either a Evo or Gnome/GTK issue.

Have you tried running it from the command line? Maybe there is an error message or something.

Also, check how fast evolution is running if you are using gnome. After all, it is a gtk apps and it requires gtk libraries to be run before running evolution.

Tell us a little bit about your set up.

I have LM9.2 installed and I am using Evolution as well and I don't have the problems you describe. I'm running Evolution in KDE on a cable modem. I have Shorewall configured with port 110 (POP3) open. I don't think there is a need to try it from the command line (sorry DragonMage).

Do you have Shorewall set up? Is the port open on your firewall? Who do you use for your ISP? Are you using a external router? Cable or DSL or dial-up?

Edited by sglafata

You know.. I may have an idea why it is slow when typing a new email. Is the auto spellchecking turned on? It maybe that you type too fast for the spellchecking to check each word, so that it paused for a while. I think that if you type faster than 40 words per minute (especially in a language other than English), it will have that kind of pauses.

I actually think that frequent pauses are caused by the automatic mail checker. That was at least my problem with (I think) 1.4.1 this summer. I noticed that my GKrellM would show ethernet activity and my Evolution would say "checking mail" right as it froze. After about ten seconds, it went away.

Give us your setup and maybe we all can compare notes.