VIA8235 problem with MDK9.2

mi-chou

Well, I'm having a ECS mainboard with a integrated VIA soundcard (VIA8235 on a VIA-KT333). The distro provides 2 drivers for this soundcard snd-via82xx and via82cxxx_audio.

with the first one, i get full duplex (more than one program using the sound at a time), but awful quality (buzzes, crackings, so on). With the other one I get very good sound, but no duplex (eg if i play xmms, other progs using sound freeze until they can play). :wall:

Ca anyone help me? Do you think there are extra-options to be specified in /etc/modules.conf?

Thanks a lot! :help:

i did a bit of searching and haven't found a good answer, except that the issue w/the via82cxxx_audio is a known one...i'll keep hunting, but for now, have you tried playing with any of the other options in Mandrake Control Center for the snd-via82xx module to see if it helps get rid of the sound problems?

I have an abit k7 via kt400 mobo with the 8235 and it's better than my sb 16 pci :o . I use the alsa driver . What do ya get with

[root@ml root]# ls /proc/asound
card0/  cards  devices  modules  oss/  pcm  seq/  timers  V8235@  version
[root@ml root]# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [V8235          ]: VIA8233 - VIA 8235
                    VIA 8235 at 0xe400, irq 22
[root@ml root]# cat /proc/asound/devices
 0: [0- 0]: ctl
17: [0- 1]: digital audio playback
25: [0- 1]: digital audio capture
16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
 1:       : sequencer
33:       : timer
[root@ml root]#

and

[root@ml root]# lspci -vv

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
       Subsystem: ABIT Computer Corp.: Unknown device 1401
       Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
       Status: Cap+ 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
       Interrupt: pin C routed to IRQ 22
       Region 0: I/O ports at e400 [size=256]
       Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
               Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

I put the following in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq

find out yours with

cat /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq

i think the default is 64 but my sound with both pc's and 3 soundcards would skip if I didn't do the above.

here is 'where' in the file I put it

elif [ $SECURE_LEVEL -ge 4 ]; then
   rm -f /etc/issue /etc/issue.net
fi

touch /var/lock/subsys/local

doing

in a terminal as root should change it on the fly, but if it doesn't help, reboot (or go to init 1 and back)

I use the driver too ... the ..cxxxx-module is for alsa. Can it be that you don't have hardware-multiplexing(that it can play more streams at once)?

The latest alsa releases can do sofwtare-multiplexing. Don't know wich version of alsa is included in 9.2 though. To enable it you have to add some line sin /etc/asound.conf or the local-stuff.

But don't know if you have hardware-mutliplexing .. if that is the problem.