Dumb question about booting SuSE into command line

I feel really stupid asking this simple question but I have been unable to find the answer myself so far.

I am looking at SuSE 9.0, I want to boot into the command line rather than gui but I cannot find where to tell SuSE that I want to do this (such as the control centre in mandrake).

I gather I can do this at the boot prompt in GRUB somewhere, but again I don't know where/how.

A few pointers would be much appreciated and welcome.

Thanks

Edited by aperahama

should work.

Are you using suse's grub? If the above or following doesn't work let me know and I'll boot to it and report back. I just haven't had the need to do it since installing suse. I say this because it seems suse has its own unique way of controling grub/boot. I've seen mandrake not obey inittab. In general, since linux is linux and grub is grub the above and the following should work.

with suse's grub

highlight suse's entry, at the bottom you should have a commandline. Type;

init 3

and press Enter.

another grub

hightlight suse's entry, press e (for edit), then highlight the kernel line and press e (for edit) again so that all you see is (example);

kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda8 idebus=133 hdd=ide-scsi splash=quiet vga=normal

go to the end and add init 3;

kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda8 idebus=133 hdd=ide-scsi splash=quiet vga=normal init 3

press Enter then b (for boot)

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title SuSE9Pro
   kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda8 idebus=133 hdd=ide-scsi splash=quiet vga=normal
   initrd (hd0,7)/boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: ML-10/k-2.6###
title ML-cooker/k-2.6
   kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0 root=/dev/hda6 devfs=mount idebus=133 hdd=ide-scsi acpi=on splash=quiet vga=normal
   initrd (hd0,5)/boot/initrd-2.6.0.img

suse is nice, eh?

Thanks for the quick reply :D

You are right ramfree17, qnr's reply was very simple and when I saw it I realised I had used the inittab before to do the same thing. (how one forgets these things...)

Yes bvc SuSE is very nice, this is the first time I have looked at it and I'm impressed.

So nvidia drivers now installed and away I go, thanks once more.