Can't find my printer

Akai

Mandrake 9.2 can't find my Epson Stylus Color 680 (USB) printer in HardDrake, but X-Printing panel identifies it correctly. And most annoying is, that I can not print at all. It used to work with 9.2RC2, but not any more with the production release (bought the DVD). It also works all the time in Windows 2000, so it is not broken, but I'd rather use Linux...

I suppose, this could be fixed by editing some configuration file, but don't know what. I haven't done it before, have only tried via GUI.

Good advice appreciated!

It's maybe bether to just face it.

I could newer print with my linux boxes, not with HP 670c or Canon s500. :angry:

There were always troubles with printing.

I think taht there are just no people to write good printer drivers,

or the linux printer system is not usable enough yet.

Sorry folk who write this stuff, I didn't ment enything bad, but it just newer worked for me.

Akai........

have you looked into this.....

Epson Stylus Color 680 drivers for Linux

or, if that doesn't work, try this.......

Google search for Epson 680 printer drivers for Linux

Chris

It's maybe bether to just face it.

I could newer print with my linux boxes, not with HP 670c or Canon s500. :angry:

There were always troubles with printing.

I think taht there are just  no people to write good printer drivers,

or the linux printer system is not usable enough yet.

Sorry folk who write this stuff, I didn't ment enything bad, but it just newer worked for me.

If you don't know the answer to a problem, please don't reply. Replies like this are never helpful, and more often times than not, they are misleading.

If you're having trouble with something, feel free to post your problem, and we'll try our best to help you.

Edited by emh

Well, they do move it up the list..... and let someone post a real answer.

Plays the :devil: a bit: Have you looked under your table???

Serious answer.

If your using KDE look under control panel/information/usb

If your not you can install USBVIEW from the DVD.

It might be a power management issue. It could just be going into power saving and not replying fast enough to the wizard when it probes. (i.e XPP detects it at powerup but the wizard is actually probing live)

One way to play around is try the detection after just waking it up with the control buttons.

You can also try forcing it and just installing it under CUPS as the nearest model. Then it will work with a test page which means its just taking a while to wake up.

To be fair to mmax printing has never been as good under linux although it is getting a lot better. The hardware manuf's are to blame for not actually bothering and home SOHO stuff is usually even worse because its so strongly windows based and network unaware.

Professional postscript printers have always worked faultlessly with linux but they are kinda expensive for home use.

I have an Epson sylus photo 830 (I think) which foes work but I forced the config and just added it when it wouldn't autodetect.