Help with symlink command

Hi I am trying to create a symlink for a folder. I am doing this via ssh which connects to my Web server.

The server structure looks like this:

/home/techsat/

downloads/

public_html/

downloads/

uploads/

How can I make a symlink for the uploads folder which when browsed through ftp client will take you to the downloads folder which is outside the webroot(public_html) folder.

Thanks

i dont know if the ftp security would allow that although i think i saw a setting in proftpd that allows following symlinks outside the ftp root. but be aware that this is a security risk.

why not do it the other way around? make the uploads directory the real one and just symlink the downloads directory to it?

ciao!

Qchem's code worked and I can access it via command line.. but as ramfree17 mentioned, it must be a security feature, I can't access the downloads folder via ftp.

/home/techsat/

downloads/

public_html/

downloads/

uploads/

In my case downloads(under public_html) is a sub domain which contains basic files to control the downloads. downloads folder outside the webroot contains the downloadable files. How can I make it so that when I login to the subdomain, that I can upload files to the downloads folder which is sitting outside the webroot ?

hmm I am not sure if that will work. The whole point is to keep the downloadable files under the webroot and make it available through a script. Symlinking from under the webroot to a folder sitting above the webroot won't do much good.... unless I didn't understand your response very well(I tried it though).

sorry, i think we are experiencing a language barrier. my understanding was that you want to have a downloads folder that resides in the techsat directory and you want to have a ftp folder that has the same contents. the problem is that the downloads folder is outside the ftp root. with this premise, i was thinking you can still have the same result if you reverse the process wherein the ftp-download folder is the real one and you just create a symlink from the techsat folder to it. the result is that the contents of the folder are accessible from both instance (cli and ftp).

i apologize if this is not what you were looking for. :)

ciao!