No sound/ACPI for Toshiba laptop/Man 9.2

wgmjr

I loaded Mandrake 9.2 onto my Toshiba 5205-S703 and everything seems to be fine except for I get no sound. I understand this is directly related to the ACPI for this computer. I see a toshiba patch under the ACPI folder when I do a search.

How do I get this to load. I have tried getting a new Kernel, but I cannot even get the "make menuconfig" to work. It tells me I need Ncurses libraries installed.

From what I can tell, the ACPI was copied onto the hard drive, but it is not loaded.

I am definitely a "newbie", although I admined a Risc6000 Unix system years ago. Definitely dusting off some old Unix books for this.

Anyways, I reinstalled 9.2 and tried a few things, but I cannot even get into the Kernel configurator. I would like to do this without having to install a new kernel at this point, but whatever it takes.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Okay, dumb question, but you are aware that Mandrake has this really stupid habit of setting the default settings for sound levels to mute? Open Kmix and see where the sound levels are.

Other than that, do a search on the board here, I know there have been at least one other thread about sound on a toshiba notebook.

I'm running 9.2 on a Toshiba s501, and sound works fine here. I didn't need to do anything special with the kernel or manually add the acpi patch, but I have added the line "toshiba_acpi" to my /etc/modules. I don't remember, however, if that action on my part had anything to do with sound -- but it's worth a try in your case.

Also, fuzzylizard's advice to check the volume is very good. I think the first time I tried to play a CD, the relevant audio channel was muted. One click in the volume control and I was back in business.

Ok.. as you can see in my sig, I have the same laptop as yours. Here is how I get sound working in that laptop.

1. First, I upgrade my kernel to the newest version in mandrake update. This is important since there is a bug in the default install kernel that freeze the laptop when acpi is turned on. To see how to upgrade the kernel, search this board about kernel upgrade.

2. Second, I install the acpi and acpid rpms. To do that, just type this command as root

urpmi acpi acpid

then I enable those two services via mandrake control center.

3. Third, I edit /etc/lilo.conf and change the line

acpi=ht

to

acpi=on

then run lilo as root, then reboot

4. Fourth, make sure that you use either snd-intel8x0 or i810_audio module. Mandrake defaults to ali5455 module in my case, and there won't be any sound if you use that module. To change that, just type this command as root

draksound

5. Finally, use kmix or aumix to unmute the sound and set the sound levels to about 70%.

Anyway, good luck.

just to clarify

2. Second, I install the acpi and acpid rpms. To do that, just type this command as root

urpmi acpi acpid

then I enable those two services via mandrake control center.

after installation they're set to run at boot, or should be. BUT check anyway in the Mandrake Control Center>System>DrakXServices.