Gaim ruins my smooth desktop

chin808

I love gaim- its a great im app, but man does it muck up my lovely smooth desktop, I have seen a pic or two of gaim contact lists with black backgrounds, or backgrounds that go with the color sceme on the desktop. I would REALLY love to know how to make the white go away and NEVER come back :D Please guide me in the ways of the master linux guru ways... oh man Im tired

gimme something nice to read when I wake up guys! :P

g'night!

:zzz::zzz::zzz:

Unfortunately darkelve those were only smily themes.

At the moment the GAIM team is working on seperating the GUI from the core of the progrma, rhis will mean greater customizability of GAIM, and all sorts of alternate GUIs will pop up soon. On desklets and all sorts of stuff.

iphitus

oops... sorry, did not know that. It's just that all apps I used in Linux seemed to have a skin/theme feature, so I assumed the obvious...

when u assume you make an ass out of you and me... ;) I have spent countless hours researching this thank you, I usually use this board when I have exhausted all my own recources

peas

-C

At the moment the GAIM team is working on seperating the GUI from the core of the progrma, rhis will mean greater customizability of GAIM, and all sorts of alternate GUIs will pop up soon. On desklets and all sorts of stuff.

iphitus

This pleases me... hopefully sooner than later :)

when u assume you make an ass out of you and me...  ;)  I have spent countless hours researching this thank you, I usually use this board when I have exhausted all my own recources

peas

-C

:o :unsure:

So sorry...

:cry:

Edited by Darkelve

Gaim follows the gtk theme that is selected. If you're running Gnome, this is easy. Just open a console and type

gnome-theme-manager

and select a new gtk theme. If you're running another WM, you first need to start the Gnome settings daemon once again by opening up a console and typing

gnome-settings-daemon

You may need to include an & sign after each of those commands to force it to run in the 'background' ie. Not close when you close your console.

You can download new gtk themes from http://art.gnome.org or http://themes.freshmeat.net When you download one, the theme needs to be extracted to ~/.themes Create the folder if you have to.

Hope this helps you out.

It's somewhere in the theme file. The one thing I can't figure out, though, is how to make the damn text white (or any other color, for that matter) after you change the bg color. Maybe it's in gnome-font-properties.

I would tell you the exact lines, but I'm at work in Windows right now. They are unmistakable, though. Take a theme you like, make a copy with another name and edit that one.