Mandrake 10.1 X Problem

sawan

I am a Linux Newbie. I installed Mandrake 10.1 on my system PIII 1GHz with 128 MB RAM.

I was trying things with Control Center but my X seem to crashed. I pressed Ctrl+Alt+backspace and it gave me login screen. But now even if entering right username and password it returns back to login screen.

Then I pressed Ctr+alt+F1 for console. and was able to login there. Then "su" command and then "xinit" .it said to remove/tmp/.X ....something file. I removed it .. rebooted the system using"reboot" command .. but I am still not able to login to KDE/GNOME. I can only work under console (to which i am not pretty familiar).

Now to enter X I first go to console, login as root, kill the "xdmkdm" process and then run startx.

Please help me out and plz provide me the link to some command line tools list which work in mandrake 10.1

Thanx a lot.

[moved from Networking by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Start 'linux failsafe' at the bootsplash. Type: init 3. Login as user and type: startx startkde (that will start kde). It will probably fail but you will get to see an error. Post it here The error gets logged in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. You can read that log in a console with: cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | more.

Good luck

Start 'linux failsafe' at the bootsplash. Type: init 3. Login as user and type: startx startkde (that will start kde). It will probably fail but you will get to see an error. Post it here The error gets logged in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. You can read that log in a console with: cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | more.

AT the login I got the folowing error message

-bash: /etc/sysconfig/i18n: Permission denied

then when i ran startx startkde, it gave the following error

Failed to load module "/usr/X11RC/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a" (once-only module, 135962511)

/etc/X11/Xsession: line 11: /etc/sysconfig/i18n: Permission denied.

i read that error log file, it is too big to type in here. But I cud see there were a lot of entries regading video mode. I was changing my Video resolution to 1024X768 from 800X600 when all this mess happened. I guess this might be a problem. How shud I resolve it.

Thanks for your kind support.

As root, or su and supply root password, you can type mcc and then use the arrow keys and tab key to move around and reconfigure your display back, and see if that helps for the time being, and then test and set it back again after whilst in the gui.

If you don't have anything particularly important on your Linux partition, the best thing to do may be to simply reinstall.

It may sound trite and unhelpful, but it's probably the least energy-intensive way to get back to a working state. If you have the stomach for it, you can try to reproduce your error. If not, you can just be glad it's working again.

Its just a test machine and reinstall wont be a issue. But I would be very happy if I am able to solve the problem. Thats what I do with my Windows always, solve the problem and no reinstalling.

Thanks anyways.

I have Mandrake 10.1 also and I also experience many errors using X.org packages. This seem to be some bugs from the xorg and glx.

My suggestion is to update your x11 xfree x.org packages from urpmi. If you know how to use urpmi then just add the following media:

http://sunsite.rediris.es/pub/mirror/mandr...1/main_updates/

If you DON't know how to use urpmi then read the forum for instructions on how to add media and manage urpmi from the command line.

Simple guide is here:

http://iew3.technion.ac.il/CC/Comp_news/Ma...er/ch19s05.html