Keep your Mandrake up-to-date!

Guest daimoni

Guest daimoni

URPMI is a very powerful tool. Here's a small example howto take advantage of it's awesome features. You've probably hear Debian users praise their apt-get and how easy it's to update their system with it? Well, they haven't probably hear that it is possible (and very easy) with URPMI too. I have added this on scheduled apps, so my system updates itself totally automatically :-] Well, here it is:

First step to do is to add FTP-Mirror for updates. If you have launched MandrakeUpdate before, you probably have update_source defined already, and you can skip this step. If you are not sure, just follow these instructions.

Note: You most work as 'root'. URPM* scripts are available only for root user. Don't get afraid, you can't explode your system with this tutorial.

Here's example howto add European (French) mirror for your list

"urpmi.addmedia update_source ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux...pdates/9.0/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz"

This will download index of updates on your computer, it will take a while.

Now you can update your system with command:

"urpmi.update update_source;urpmi --auto-select --auto"

This will automatically check which packages you have installed and which of them are in need of updating.

You can also do a shellscript for this.

for example:

create file /usr/bin/update-system

which includes following lines:

#!/bin/sh

urpmi.update update_source

urpmi --auto-select --auto

also remember to give rights to run this file, with command:

chmod +x /usr/bin/update-system

Now you can always download and install latest security, general and bugfixes your system simply with command "update-system". (remember to run as root)

BE CAREFULL

..i would add, that you can make an "uncompiling" system like this.

I did that in 8.2 and after severall automatic updates, he couldn't compile any more because of different library versions that excluded each other.

Was a hell to solve this again... :(

Guest daimoni
BE CAREFULL

..i would add, that you can make an "uncompiling" system like this.

I did that in 8.2 and after severall automatic updates, he couldn't compile any more because of different library versions that excluded each other.

Was a hell to solve this again... :(

Well, claim Mandrakesoft for this problem. I kept my 8.2 always up to date and ever got into this problem. Probably you did just screw something by yourself ;)

Guest daimoni

and by the way it doesn't have _anything_ to do with compiling if updating is automatic - same would happen with manual update too. running that script does not broke your system. no matter what you claim. unless mandrakesoft makes a broke update.

I'm totally new to Mandrake, but can you define in urpmi what source he should check first.

For example,

first: check cdrom

second: check Mandrake site

third: check PLF

fourth: check Texstar's RPM Mirror

So can I specify an order when I do

# urpmi tuxracer

Does anyone know where I can read some stuff about configuring urpmi-stuff like that.

Fab