Mozilla and Galeon crash...

jeanackle

Since I issued "urpmi.update --auto-select" (successfully), I started having problems with both Mozilla and Gaelon (I gues this one for sharing stuff from the first). They crash when loging in a Webmail or php forum (like this one ;). Konqueror and Links still work fine.

I use Mandrake 9.1 and FluxBox.

Trying to update Mozilla and/or libnss3 to the 9.2 versions (or the Cooker's) doesn't work - I didn't have any source for them installed when I issued urpmi-update, so the current install is still a 9.1. I get some error on account of dependencies -package "don't-remember-what" can't be retrieved.

Any thoughts? :unsure:

Well, after many gripes from me that the last, oh say, 5 versions of mozilla were half crippled. I found after installing SuSE9/kde everything 'mozilla' worked. I thought "how sad for mandrake". Being a gnomer I went ahead and installed SuSE's default gnome2.2.......probs were back. So, I uninstalled gnome2.2 but the probs are still there. I imagine some settings or files were changed somewhere but I haven't a clue which/where.

So, what was updated? There's obviously some newer pkgs that moz does not like. I'd sure like to know which ones. I have a feeling it's a/some pkgs that gnome uses.

BTW, galeon has always been fine for me. Does running them from a terminal give any output/errors?

Yes, I'm running cooker now on mandrake9.2/kernel-2.6 but have had these moz probs since 9.1.

you might wanna check if your gcc libs are correct & check into Java issues. i know there are gcc conflicts with certain builds of Moz & Java. any time i've ever had a problem with random Moz crashes or have helped somebody with a problem like this, it always seems to be traced back to one or both of those issues. and since Galeon is built on Moz's Gecko engine, that would only make sense that Galeon crashes too. also, did you try this Moz upgrade over an existing version? that's not recommended according to the Moz faq's & my own first hand experience. if that's the case, it could be a conflict with an older version of Moz or remnants there of. go to the following link for Moz's support pages if you haven't done so already. all of the above things i mentioned are discussed there & various fixes are given.

http://www.mozilla.org/support/

Chris

Thanks for your answers, but sill no luck... yet.

bvc:

Running Mozilla from a terminal gives absolutelly nothing. It just closes when trying to access a webmail or forum page.

Galeon gives no output/errors on the terminal, but does show a message-window saying 'segmentation fault'. Also gives a link to the GNOME bug-report site, but that doesn't work either. So nest, you press 'Ok' and it closes.

chris z:

By the time I used urpmi.update, I had also updated my Java version to 1.4.2_02. Got back to 1.4.1_03, but still no luck.

I haven't checked Mozilla's support page yet, but I will when I get some time.

Again, thanks for your answers.

where did you get your java? The only time I had crashes as you describe and worse was when I had a java compiled w/ a gcc different than the gcc the moz and galeon were compiled with. Being 9.1 that may become, or is, a prob when updating moz/galeon. I have noticed

[root@ml root]# ls /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386

ns4/  ns610/  ns610-gcc32/

[root@ml root]#

which tells me there's backwards compatibility;

ns610-gcc32 -for gcc3.2

ns610 -for older

just assuming/guessing and we know what happens when.....

Even still, moz and galeon wouldn't even start until all matched for which gcc version they were compiled with. This was also with 9.1 b4 I had 9.2 and I don't remember where I got what and now I'm cooker.

2 things.........

what command are you using when you try to run Moz from terminal? if memory serves me, the command isn't just mozilla, it's something like ./mozilla or ./mozilla.bin. if you check the Moz website, it tells you the exact command in the install guide for Moz.

also, you didn't answer my question about installing over a previous version of Moz. since you did uprmi.update --auto-select, i'm assuming you did. if that is the case, it could be conflicts between different versions of Moz causing your problems. along that line of thought, have you tried uninsatlling Moz completely, every last bit of it, then reinstalling, & finally tackling the plugins? if you haven't, i'd suggest giving that a go, because as bvc said, the Java rpm is pretty much fool proof & should work without any intervention on your part.

Chris

Edited by chris z

yes, uninstall everything, and reinstall everything at the same time. Back in the ML8.1 days this would almost always fix my probs. But back then it was by putting all the rpms in a dir and cd in a terminal to then do

rpm -ivh mozilla<version> galeon<version> libnss<version>

and so on. After unistalling everyhting. You should be ok using rpmdrake (gui) or urpmi though and not need to do it manually. :thumbs:

When having a lot of probs like this, it's sometimes a good idea to totally delete or bkup the mozilla dir's /usr/lib/mozilla<version> and /home/ur_name/.mozilla

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...=30entry81894

This is on Mozilla's site now when I went back to download an update to my 1.4 browser.

Linux (x86)

The original Linux builds were built with the wrong compiler and are incompatible with some plugins and extensions. The builds have been replaced as of 01:00 UTC on December 11. To distinguish the builds, look in about:buildconfig, in the "Build tools" section, next to the line starting with "c++". The old, incorrect build will say "gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-81)". The new, correct build will say "gcc version 3.2.3" (just as it does on the previous line).

Full Installer (12 MB) Download all of the Mozilla components and then specify install options.

Net Installer (80 KB) Download only the components you specify.

tar.gz format (12 MB).

• 2 weeks later...