my win xp printer woes

polemicz

Every time I do a new linux installation I end up with my printer woes. I have posts back last year about them, eventually by magic they resolve. They are here again after my 9.2 install. I was wise and saved my cups configuration files, but to no avail. Briefly what I have is an HP932c printer on a Win xp system. Samba is set up fine and I can print via smbclient. My cups config file is the same as for 9.1 and the printers.conf file is the same. I'm really bewildered! I have a hunch that the problem somehow lies in my workgroup name (from pre-linux days when I got cable via @home): @home. In the printers.conf file I have, in the URI name:password@@home/alien/HPDeskJe (alien is the machine with the printer). Anybody have any wisdom or similar experience. (It's Winxp sp1). Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away for a while and am now back tho this printer mess. Here are a few clues that may shine a light for someone who knows more than I, and that ain't much:

1. smbclient sees my win xp shares correctly and can print

2. diskdrake does not see my win xp shares

3. I put Mepis on a free partition and it easily sees my win xp and sets up the printer without a hitch.

All the Samba and Cups files look okay, especially having my old 9.1 ones that worked and my Mepis ones that do. Anyone have any simiilar problems accessing Win xp shares from 9.2? What puzzles me is that smbclient works fine and disk drake sees nothing!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tried to change hostname (was plain old localhost), deleted printer and re-installed it. No deal. There is something not right in connecting to the Win XP box. As I noted I can se it with smbclient and print from smbclient, so I know that Samba is set up correctly. My Cups configuration is plain vanilla. It matches my old 9.1 configuration as well as the Mepis which works fine. From MCC -> Mount Points -> Samba Mount Points -> Search servers I can get everything on my network except the Win XP box to show up (Win ME system, and Win 2000 system). The problem musn't be on the Win XP end as Mepis is able to get to its printer.

Does anyone know how diskdrake searches the samba servers (I assume that is what is run from MCC)?

I don't think the problem is on the XP end. Samba can see the printer share, via smbclient, and I can print to the xp printer when I am using Mepis using Samba and Cups. Anyway I don't have access to the XP machine (my son is on it until goodness know when).

I'm far from understanding how Linux prints to the xp share via Samba and Cups. When I do a print command how does Cups/Mandrake process it? I wonder if it is a Cups problem or Mandrake problem. My printers.conf and etc/printcap files are ok, etc.

Interestingly if I boot Linux, mdk, first then Win xp I can see the win xp system via mcc->mt points->samba mt pts.

So to summarize:

1. I can see the windows share and print to it via smbclient

2. Cups appears to be configured correctly

3. MCC sometimes can and sometimes cannot see the win xp box.

When I can I'll try to see my linux system from Win xp, but until then any other ideas out there?

Thanks.

I finally got my printer going, but I am not sure how or why. I went back to scratch, and since I am on vacation this week and have time I reinstalled 9.2, and had Samba up and working before even trying to set up my printer. I also reset my router as the DHCP clients table was not right (for all I know that has been the problem all along). I then set up the printer and, presto, I can print.

The router is a Linksys BEFSR41 V.2, I'll have to look into this more.