A couple of questions about VMWare...

Guest jair

I just got it installed today, and was windering how I can get my sound to work and how to access my other partitions. Also, will I have 3D acceleration, or do I have to install specific Windows drivers? Thanks.

Ive never got my sound working in vmware however thats never been much of an issue for me as i only used vmware occasionly for some windows apps to save me rebooting into windows. It might help if you tell people what sound card you have.

As for accesing other partitions that depends on what you specified when you installed if you choose virtual network you need to set up samba, theres plenty of information telling you how to set up samba i think theres an article on how to set up samba in vmware on the vmware website.

As for 3d acceleration i believe theres an option (Forgive me if im a little vague as i dont have vmware installed any more and its been a while.) in one of the menus to install special vmware drivers to improve graphics however dont expect great performances and i dont know if its accelerated graphics. what do you plan to use vmware for if its games dont bother as it isnt designed for playing games and doesnt work well with directx.

ditto that.

It is usefull when you need some legacy stuff done, that is -- as winbloze is concerned.

OTOH, it is great that you can install another linux version or distro in it and run several at once. For that, it is worth every penny I paid for it.

I have my sound working in VMWare, as I recall (and it's been a while since I did this) I had to get the path, kill the sound in linux, put in the path in the VMWare config and launch the OS and it worked. From that point on I just launch VMware, select the OS and sound works fine without me having to kill it in linux.

Like the others said though considering that VMware isn't meant for things like games is it really worth the hassle to get it working?

• 2 weeks later...

Sound is kinda pointless unless you wanna run Acid, Soundforge or any other windows-only audio tools..even then the latency will kill you so ultimately it's pointless.

OTOH, if you have to use Fireworks or Dreamweaver occasionally, it's a fun program to play with. A friend of mine is a sql developer and his company switched over to powerful unix workstations with vmware installed. If he needs to check his code he just fires up a vmware session of redhat and runs the mysql/postgresql server, and in another vmware session he launches XP and does his coding, shuffles it over to the server and tests. He can do damn near anything in the way of testing just on his workstation.

Behold, the power of Unix/Linux.

And for the gaming question:

VMWare has only simple directX support, what makes it difficult, getting the games running. Another thing is the speed of the os in the virtual machine...

Well, it will be enough for "monkey island 2" ;)