XMMS Locking up linux

osiris679

When I load XMMS, it will, after a while, lock up my computer, even if i am not playing music. I have to restart after this happens, since it freezes the whole os. It is not playing with realtime priority either. What is wrong?

Also, I don't know if this is normal, but when I switch songs, there is a lag and sometimes it will play both songs for a a brief moment.

I have the same problem. XMMS worked perfectly under mdk9.1, but now that I have mdk9.2 it f*** up my system, espesially if I try to use it for streaming.

No problems if I use mPlayer or Totem.

Guest kuchwas

You might try the 1.2.8 version from Chip Cucchio He also includes the alsa and oss output plugins. I have used it all the way from 9.1 through 9.2 and now into cooker 10.0, with no problems; I stream net radio all day long. Using MadMan as the music manager for ogg/mp3 with xmms as its player.

Oops, almost forgot...

Mdk installs with "soundwrapper xmms" to start it. Seems the soundwrapper causes quite a few problems. I know you can do without it if you use alsa and I think you can eliminate it with oss. aRts or esd, I dunno, but try it. hint You can use top to kill soundwarapper without changing in the menu /hint If it works, use mcc/menudrake to remove.

Edited by kuchwas

Guest kuchwas
*sigh*  oh well, guess i can't do everything with linux :P

Yes you can, you just need to kick up your geekness a level. B)

It looks like you have a serious conflict. Easiest might be to start a fresh minimal install, make sure you have all the updates, get all video, network, security, etc configured. Then start to add the apps you want one at a time.

Edited by kuchwas