dial-up problems

magm-x

i was wondering if anyone can help me. i installed an intel 536ep 56k modem on my mandrake 9.2 machine and i can connect up. however every few minutes my connection drops and i cannot do anything ie browsing. I tried to ping also but that timed out. my mtu and mru are set at 576. the only way it works again is to wait five minutes and continue browsing or to redial. btw my connection works perfectly on my win98 dual boot

You dont say what are you using to dial but i guess you are using Kppp, and KDE.

I could help if you were using "wvidial", but, i dont remember how Kppp works.

Anyway, it would be good if you specify a little more on what are you using and if you have a proxy, gateway, or any other "special" thing...

i'm currently running KPPP on KDE, my settings are pap/chap authentication, hardware flow control, dynamic IP address,default gateway. pppd arguments are mtu 765, mru 576-i've double checked that these settings have took using ifconfig . i'm currently using the latest intel supplied drivers "Intel® 536EP Modem Chipset Driver [iNTEL-536EP-462.TGZ]" which i compiled from source. does any software exist that can help autoconfigure a modem for maximum performance such as the ones that exist for windows e.g. modem booster, internet booster