installing COM21 cable modem USB drivers

impuLse

Hmmm.... looks like COM21 has sold out so support is a bit tough, eh? I suggest a google search using "com21 usb cable modem linux" and check the com21 website:

COM 21 SUPPORT HOMEPAGE CLICK HERE

Here is what I found on the COM21 FAQ for your product:

Question

Do you have a USB driver for the Linux OS ?

Answer

We do not have a Linux USB driver available. If you with to use your Com21 DP1110 / DP1110XB modem on the Linux OS, you will need to connect via Ethernet.

I think you'll need to buy an ethernet card and do it that way. They are quite cheap and easy to install. If you need help holler there are lots of us here that can help.

It may still be possible with linux to use the USB connection as it should sense it and hotplug, but an easier solution is use the ethernet and it will automatically set it up on booting. USB can be sort of a pain at times due to the way it is initialized.

No fun! You might have to resort to an ethernet PCMCIA card which is a bit more spendy.

I'm not convinced that it won't work yet either. Have you tried looking at the linux usb site? I'm not on my normal computer and don't have time to look up the link, but try google using search term "usb linux" (no quotes) and look for the site that has linux device setup. They have lots of FAQ and setup info on the site. If you cannot find it let me know and tomorrow I'll check my other computer for the URL.

Another thought is to try booting and then plug in the modem. If you are running 9.1 usb hotplug should be active and it might recognize it and set it up. ;)

Good luck!

Sorry I am not more help. I lost my broadband (modem died) and have a big project going. Hope someone comes up with some help for you soon. If not, I'll check back when I am able and see if we can figure this out. Suggest you continue some google searches with terms like 'usb cable modem linux" and various others and see if you come up with anything.

There are a couple posts on this site about adsl modems too that may offer some help. Key is finding out if usb is "seeing" your device and if there is a kernel module that will recognize it and initialize it properly. Don't give up.

Sorry I must run!

I had a minute so I did a quick surf to see if I could learn more. Sorry I don't have the time to really get into this and help you like I would like to do. I have an important deadline to meet by Sunday nite and am forced to really hustle to get it done.

It is encouraging that your modem seems to be initializing and getting a connection to the isp. Now it may boil down to a matter of setting up your network properly to recognize the USB port as your internet connection. We need a network guru... HELP!

I found some promising info in a couple threads you might want to look at:

Mandrake Newbie CABLE MODEM setup CLICK HERE

Click here USB Setup Linux Questions Scroll down a ways for section on kernel module you need to setup for usb cable modem to work (CDCEther) run lsmod -a from the command line to see if it is already loading when your modem is plugged in. If not, run modprobe CDCEther and see what happens when you run lsmod -a again. You should see it in the list of loaded modules.

CLICK HERE COM21 modem setup usb

This looks good and has instructions: try this too:

The USB connection is not a problem.

open an xterm window, and as root type

rmmod acm

modprobe CDCEther

ifconfig -a

After this last one, it *should* say something like

eth0: Ambit Cable Modem blah blah blah

inet add: 0.0.0.0.0 (dont worry about this bit)

If so, type

dhcpcd

ifconfig

Now it should say

eth0: Ambit Cable Modem

inet add: 80.98.22.1 etc

Leave the window open and try an internet browser.Hopefully you'll have internet access.

These instructions *wont* however give you interent access every time you boot up

Then read this thread which is where this comes from and do a search on linuxquestions.org (careful they can be tough on newbies so go slowly) :)

Click HERE for this good thread.

Good luck, sorry must run! Don't worry in time you'll learn where and how to look for the answers. Linux is fun just different from Windoze!

EDIT: another good link Click Here for more on USB cable modem

Edited by kmack

Fantastic! Congratulations! Selamat as we say here! :thumbs:

Really glad it worked for you. Spend some time using google and you can almost always find someone else with a similar problem. An answer that works is not always available, but with some effort it is a great resource. This board is number one for me, but sometimes no one here has dealt with that kind of problem and you have to go googling for an answer.

Blessings and enjoy the cable connection. My cable modem is still dead and stores are closed until Saturday. :-( Dialup is so slow... :angry: