An arse is made

clevedonal

Boys & Girls

(as part of my MDK education....)

Prior to an attempt to install MDK 9.2 from Linux Format mag - i thought i'd try and educate myself a little, by bringing my MDK 9.1 install up-to-speed...

I attempted to follow Mottts' directions installing my Nvidia video drivers - but my print-out of directions was not as clear as it should have been - I downloaded/installed the drivers, but in attempting to 'save' my insertion, i think i inserted a space/character which is incorrect... which resulted in not being able to boot into GUI, but only command line startup. & not knowing what the original Mandrake drivers config looks like - i then attempted a 're-install' from my cd's thinking that would replace my damaged config file - resulting in LILO having more options to start windows & mandrake - which still only booted to command line.

Q1: how would i restore the original mandrake 'nv' config to allow me to boot into KDE/Gnome to try again. (is there a 'standard' config following initial install?? is there a way to copy the current 'config' file for your amusement/entertainment/expert eyes?)

Q2: how to restore MBR to show only one 'windows' + Mandrake.

Q3: should i format the Mandrake drive then re-install, & a safe way to do this to allow windows to continue?

Machine:

Athlon 1300

46GB Win2000

40 gb ( 30GB Mandrake + 10GB fat 32 )

512Mb

NVidia Geforce 64mb

SB 5.1

(thanks in advance for your time! :thumbs: )

clevedonal ( clevedonal@yahoo.com )

Don't use the "upgrade" method. A fresh install will work fine. But, it's really not necessary.

Boot to the command line. su to root and type

urpmi mc

Mandrake will ask for the first disk, and install a program called Midnight Commander. After it is done, and still as root, type

mc

You will be presented with a visual file manager/editor from which you can correct your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

Navigate to that file, press F4 for the edit mode, go down to your video driver section, and either correct your error or change back yo "nv". Press F2 to save and F10 to close, F10 again to exit. Back at the command prompt, type the word

exit

and then to test your changes type

startx

If you're in x, your done.

Ixthusdan - thank you for your prompt reply :D . after a little trial and error - i am back up and walking in a mandrake stylee.

I will attempt to install the nvidia drivers soon - hopefully with more success than before.

I am not familiar with any command-line functions but - i AM learning (old dog / new tricks notwithstanding)

Many thanks for your help!

al

(Wizdom is the domain of the Wiz)

Following on to my previous adventures... i now have to enter 'root' password in order to reboot computer... i am somewhat confused by this ...

is there a way to safely tidy-up LILO to remove some of the 'unused' options? - i got around 8: linux/linux old/windows/windows 2... (etcetera. etcetera. etcetera)

at least i'll be able to slide back down the learning curve :jester:

al

Using Midnight Commander (or any editor) as root, navigate to /etc/lilo.conf. Simply delete the sections you do not want to show. Caution: make a back up before you edit and remember that there must be a single blank line at the end of the file. Close and save and type "lilo" at the command line. If no errors come up, you're done.