creating *.iso files instead of img+toc

mandrake_alf

I have a win2k user friend that would like a copy of one of my personal CD's. He lives in another city so we want to just have me make an iso and let him download it and make his own CD from the iso image. OK... Not a problem until I found NONE of my CD apps actaully create iso images. What I get are img/toc file pairs that can be burned to a cd in Linux but are not compatable with any win2k app (that Im aware of anyway)..

Any ideas?

Eroaster, X CD Roast, K3B, gnometoaster.. I've tried just about all the major ones..

TIA ... Mike

hmmm.... I have not tried it yet, but I think that k3b does make the image / iso file and it uses the mkisofs

Take a look at the TOOLS--Write ISO image option and I think that will do what you want to do too.

from the k3b README:

- writing ISO-cds

- Joliet/Rockridge support

- create image/write image

- writing on-the-fly

- creating of file-tree via drag'n'drop (as easy as it could be)

- removing files and directories from data tree

- moving files within the project

- adding new empty directories to data tree

- renaming of files (manually or automatically for mp3-files) (for joliet and rockrigde)

- support for most of the mkisofs-options (I don't think anyone will ever use them! ;-))

- multisession support (including importing old sessions)

Edited by kmack

Most cd-burning guis are just graphical front ends for cdparanoia, mkisofs and cdrecord. The options available within a given gui package are a subset of whats available from the command line. If you really don't want to use the command line I guess the trick is finding a package that does everything you want.

I'd just use the command line however :devil:

I agree with you Grant... cli is always the best solution because it gives you more precise control, but not if you don't know how to do it and don't have the time to learn.

The easiest way might be to just copy the cd and mail it to him. Low tech but it will save time if you are not able to figure out another way to do this. ;)

CLI is best but to automate the whole process you can use this script I found here called rawread:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm

Here's the script:

#!/bin/sh
device=$1

blocksize=`isoinfo -d -i $device | grep "^Logical block size is:" | cut -d " " -f 5`
if test "$blocksize" = ""; then
echo catdevice FATAL ERROR: Blank blocksize >&2
exit
fi

blockcount=`isoinfo -d -i $device | grep "^Volume size is:" | cut -d " " -f 4`
if test "$blockcount" = ""; then
echo catdevice FATAL ERROR: Blank blockcount >&2
exit
fi

command="dd if=$device bs=$blocksize count=$blockcount conv=notrunc,noerror"
echo "$command" >&2
$command

Just create an emptey text file in your home directory and name it "rawread". Then copy and paste the above to rawread. Then to make the script executable run:

# chmod a+x rawread

Then to make an iso image of a cd, place the cd in the drive and run:

$ ./rawread /dev/hdx > [name for iso image]

where hdx corresponds to the drive where the cd is loaded. The iso image will be written to your home directory.

You guys are just too good... Yes, I have mkisofs and can figure out how to use it eventually using man pages if necessary. BUT .. one thing... K3B setup indicates the mkisofs applicatin is not there but it is. Ummmm, and it's in /usr/bin (which is in search path). The permissions are rws instead of rwx for owner. I'm guessing this is SUID and wondering why that would prevent K3B from finding it!! :unsure:

Any ideas on how to remedy this would be helpful.. I use the CLI all the time and am definately NOT afraid of it or of learning new CLI tricks and tips and whatever... but if I can do it with K3B, what the heck.. why not? <g>