fixing mp3

VeeDubb

I have an mp3 of an old audio book. It was originaly released as a set of LP's and the only copy I have is a digital recording made from the LP's in mp3 format. As you can imagine the quality leaves something to be desired. What I am looking for is some sort of program to clean up the static and pops. If the old needle pops from the vinyl con't be removed, that's okay, but I'd like to clean it up as much as possible.

Note*** I've never done this before

Guest kuchwas
I have an mp3 of an old audio book.  It was originaly released as a set of LP's and the only copy I have is a digital recording made from the LP's in mp3 format.  As you can imagine the quality leaves something to be desired.  What I am looking for is some sort of program to clean up the static and pops.  If the old needle pops from the vinyl con't be removed, that's okay, but I'd like to clean it up as much as possible.

Note***  I've never done this before

Audacity which was mentioned. I've used it to cleanup and split to individual songs, streaming media that I have captured with xms.

Gramophile *might* work, I've used it to record from old vinyl and cassette tapes to ogg/mp3. I'm not sure if it has a cleanup mode for existing digital media, but it works great for recording from the original media. Or if you still have the original LPs, it is what you want to use and make new mp3 recording.

Tim

Edited by kuchwas

No, I don't have accessto the original lp's. they are extremely rare and expensive now. It's a version of the Hobbit that was recorded in the 70's, but it's not that cfrappy BBC radio version. This one was read by actor Nicol Williamson. He did a different voice for eevery character and it is just fantastic.

Before this, the last thing I had was a 4th generation tape copy, but it's getting REALY old. The mp3's are already better than my tapes, so if none of this works, it's not that big of a deal. I just figured it would be easier to clean up now.

As for making a copy of the tapes and cleaning it as it's captured, no, they are REALLY bad, almost unusable now after a few thousand listens and 10 years in the car.

No, I don't have accessto the original lp's.  they are extremely rare and expensive now.  It's a version of the Hobbit that was recorded in the 70's, but it's not that cfrappy BBC radio version.  This one was read by actor Nicol Williamson.  He did a different voice for eevery character and it is just fantastic.

would you be allowed to put this up for public download?

ciao!