DSL connection, please help :(

Guest karass

:cry: I'm using a Mandrake 9.0 with KDE 3. I have it installed on a Sony Viao PCG-F540. After I completed the installation (which was smooth) I would not be able to configure my internet connection. Here is what I did.

I have a ADSL connection that required user name and password. I go to the Control Panel (i can't remember what it's called yet "new user") and i start the internet connection wizard. When I chose the options for the ADSL, I enter the user name and password and then I see the screen where it's asking me for the PCMCIA card driver.

I'm using D-Link DE-660+ as my nic (PCMCIA) card and it's not on the list.

Now, the funniest part is that in the Menu bar on the desktop. There is a icon that indicates the power connection, it shows the battery and the power cord. When I click on that icon once, i get this pop up menu that shows me that I have 2 PC cards in my computer and that one of them is a D-Link DE-660+ it does identify what kind of a card it is, but still gives me an option to install the driver for it when i run a network wizard.

I don't know, i hope this makes sense and I hope anyone out there will know a solution for this problem. Please help, can't get online otherwise. :cry:

• 3 weeks later...

PCMCIA cards can "tell" the PC what their "name" is - but that does not mean that your PC has also the right driver for it.

During installation (in case the PCMCIA NIC was inserted), the system should either have installed the right driver automatically, or it should have asked you which driver to install. If the card is rather new, maybe there is not yet a special driver for it. Maybe other drivers for similar cards (with same chip) work.

You may look in the hardware compatibility list.

:cry: I'm using a Mandrake 9.0 with KDE 3. I have it installed on a Sony Viao PCG-F540. After I completed the installation (which was smooth) I would not be able to configure my internet connection. Here is what I did. 

I have a ADSL connection that required user name and password. I go to the Control Panel (i can't remember what it's called yet "new user") and i start the internet connection wizard. When I chose the options for the ADSL, I enter the user name and password and then I see the screen where it's asking me for the PCMCIA card driver. 

I'm using D-Link DE-660+ as my nic (PCMCIA) card and it's not on the list. 

Now, the funniest part is that in the Menu bar on the desktop. There is a icon that indicates the power connection, it shows the battery and the power cord. When I click on that icon once, i get this pop up menu that shows me that I have 2 PC cards in my computer and that one of them is a D-Link DE-660+ it does identify what kind of a card it is, but still gives me an option to install the driver for it when i run a network wizard. 

I don't know, i hope this makes sense and I hope anyone out there will know a solution for this problem. Please help, can't get online otherwise. :cry:

hello

just use /sbin/adsl-config in root console and your driver is pppoe for the adsl-config

you most have the first DNS-serv from your provider

name =dsl

user= connectionNO.prowiderNO0001#@provider.name.com

passwd :twisted:

just like in XPsux

• 1 month later...

The EnterNet PPPoE ADSL dialing program is fairy good. I did not bother to configure anything about my external modem for connecting to the internet. I simply followed the steps in README.txt and connected to the internet successfully. If you have an internal ADSL modem, you must make Linux recognize the device first.

http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.p...lease_id=126973

Linux export Hilbert with compTIA Linux+ certificate