Dell 600m

muffhead

Ok, this is also in a thread in the laptop section, but no one has responded to it yet.

I have a dell 600m and every time I close the lid on my laptop, everything freezes, everything. However the cpu keeps running, an hour after it freezes the thing is burning hot. Has this happend on anyone elses laptops or this just a 600m issue? Also, this never happend with MD 9.1 or any other versions that I have tried.

So don't close the lid :P

My first guess would be that there is a problem with how mandrake 9.2 (?) is handling acpi. This might explain why things go screwing when you close the lid. Just not sure how to fix the problem, but it might give you a starting point for diagnosing the problem.

SITE ONE

SITE TWO

SITE THREE

SITE FOUR ON ACPI FIX

From a very quick look, it appears that the 600m has some acpi issues. If I were you, I'd look over the sites linked above and maybe even contact the guys and ask advice. None of them use Mdk so will be slightly different and the latest 9.2 kernel has some improved acpi stuff in it. Are you running the latest kernel version? $ uname -r to find your running kernel.

Then if you are brave to do some command line work, check out your /etc/lilo.conf and see what it is booting to now... is it acpi=on or acpi=off? You can also check the services that are running via MCC and see if anything is turning it off or on from there too. Then try to boot with the opposite option and see what happens.

Remember, you cannot run acpi and apm at the same time as they conflict. Make sure that is not happening. My guess is that something in the way it reads the lid closing isn't being interpreted properly by acpi as it exists in the Mdk kernel.

Hope this helps. :)