Issues with Wine menus in Mandriva

Sunnyr

Alright a big issue I see in Mandy 2010 is wine, and playonlinux menu creation.

It seems that neither wine or playonlinux menus are working with mandriva, I use both as I do need some windows apps here and there but not enough for a dual boot or Vbox install.

The menus work fine in openSUSE and Ubuntu in both KDE and Gnome, but not in Mandriva's KDE or gnome.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Do they appear when you log out and back in again? Have you tried running:

update-menus

another alternative is of course to create the items manually yourself. I do this sometimes when programs don't create them for some reason or another when the app is installed under wine. So I don't see it as a big issue.

Wine is working fine here. Do you have the following installed?

[david@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa *wine*
libkwineffects1-4.3.2-11.6mdv2010.0
libwine1-1.1.32-1mdv2010.0
wine-1.1.32-1mdv2010.0

IIRC, I tried wine-doors, but had some problem with it. Don't remember what the problem was anymore.

Yeh all are covered, got everything listed there on my mandriva system.

Do they appear when you log out and back in again? Have you tried running:

update-menus

another alternative is of course to create the items manually yourself. I do this sometimes when programs don't create them for some reason or another when the app is installed under wine. So I don't see it as a big issue.

Yes but editing new menus's all the time for every app I use under wine can be a real pain, its not like I cant do it but I do have quite a number of windows apps I use.

Its no big deal to you, but for me it will prove to be an annoyance.

I wonder if its a bug.

Did you try update-menus? I don't know if exists in Gnome anymore, some distros have it some don't (I think). Maybe if you run this, it will update the menu so you can access the app. Alternatively, log out and back in and see if they appear?

Does it affect all wine apps or just one in particular? Have you tried editing the menu to see if the items are installed, but just not selected so that they don't appear in the menu?

If you are using KDE4, look under the "lost and found" group.

Normally, it shouldn't be there, but so far there isn't a uniform opendesktop.org menu hierarchy which is 100% respected by all DE's.

I regulary find my wine apps in the proper place under Gnome, LXDE and E17, while under KDE they are in "lost and found", and under XFCE4 they can be anywhere- even nowhere! :lol2: