SUSE 9.0 and acpi

I have a two laptops (Toshiba 5005-S507 and Toshiba 5205-S703) that require acpi so that not only the laptop functions work, but also for sound to work. Without acpi, I have no sound to use for playing any kind of audio (with RealPlayer, MPlayer, XMMS, etc.), nor is there sound for games (Frozen Bubble).

When I have acpi=on, and have audio, then I open up anything multi-media (RealPlayer, etc. or Frozen Bubble), everything freezes up, even the cursor with the touchpad. Then I have to push the Power button off, then back on and edit GRUB with acpi=off, but of course then there is no sound or laptop functions.

After paying for SUSE 9.0 Professional, I later find out through SUSE support that support does not include Nvidia card issues, nor acpi issues.

Does anyone here have a solution with easy-to-follow,thorough, and nontechie steps of how to solve the acpi problem.

In advance, thanks!

Richard L.

Thanks, cybrjackle,

I have been to those two links, and others several times. Unfortunately, the information there about acpi appears to be outdated.

SuSE is using a higher kernel number that should have fixed the acpi problem. In fact, it is the first distro where upon completion of the installation, acpi and sound are working automatically.

However, I just may have to follow Nicolas Beaulieu's suggestion and apply it to a newer kernel source that hopefully will be compatible with Suse's kernel (which may be unique to SuSE, just as MDK's kernel is adapted to MDK's own distro).

If anyone else has any ideas and experience with SuSE and acpi, please respond.

I appreciate your quick response and suggestions, cybrjackle.

Sincerely,

Richard L.

Maybe SuSE has an updated kernel that fix the acpi problem? To run mandrake 9.2 with acpi=on without hanging I have to update the kernel to the newest one. Also another thing to try adding noapic and nolapic into grub, since there seems to be a documented local apic bug in kernel 2.4.22.

Note that since I don't have SuSE 9.0, I cannot help you any more than this. SuSE is just too expensive for my (third world) taste :)

Many thanks, DragonMage and cybrjackle,

DragonMage, I'll be going to the Houston LUG weekly workshop tonight and will get help to attempt adding your suggestions to grub.

Soon I'll be adding MDK9.2 on a separate partition, so could you give me the link to the updated kernel? If you had to download a new version or patch for acpi, could you also give me that link, too?

I appreciate the help and suggestions from both of you.

Best regards,

Richard L.

Edited by lawsonrc

The updated kernel should be available in any mandrake mirrors. But just in case, here are some links

ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux...dates/9.2/RPMS/

http://mandrake.contactel.cz/Mandrake/upda...dates/9.2/RPMS/

Make sure you download these files

kernel-2.4.22.21mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

kernel-source-2.4.22-21mdk.i586.rpm

APCI patch is already built in the regular mandrake kernel.. so there will be no recompiling needed. The kernel source will be needed in order to compile nvidia driver, modem driver, cpad touchpad driver, and other stuff.

DragonMage,

Thanks very much for the links and the suggestions for MDK 9.2. It may be a few more weeks until I install MDK9.2. However, I will certainly let you know either here or I will PM you with my results/experiences.

(I guess if I share my experiences in this thread it may be more useful for others that have the newer Toshiba, Dells, etc. with "legacy free bios").

In the US we will be celebrating our Thanksgiving next Thursday. I never travel with laptops (too much of a pain with airport security and afraid it will be dropped to the floor and broken). I will leave Houston TX tomorrow and be in South Florida in and near Fort Lauderdale to celebrate the holiday with my brother's family.

So maybe after I return home I may have the CD's for MDK9.2 and can install it between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Cheers,

Richard L.

P.S. I want you to know that bvc respects your contributions to the forum highly and wrote me some very nice things about you when I emailed him that you had the same laptop as I. He said that you are one that never steers anyone in the wrong direction, and that you are honest to stay when you "don't know" something, but that you contribute well with things that you do know about. Just thought I would pass this along to you to let you know how well respected you are in this community!