Laptop shutdown problem - Mandriva 2007.0

Guest nik_123

Guest nik_123

Hallo all here! I got the following problem : I have an old laptop - Intel Pentium 2 celeron- 360 mhz, 128 MB RAM, Video Voodoo3fx - 4 MB video memory. On that system I use Mandriva 2007, kernel 2.6.17-17, GNOME 2.16. Everything seems to be OK, but after selecting "Shutdown" from GNOME menu or just typing "halt" as root in the terminal, system starts to halting, but after the message " System halted" laptop just freezes, doesn't turn off actually- I have to push the Power button to shut off the power really. On the same laptop, I have used Mandriva 2009.0 and I haven't got that problem- but mandi 2009 is too heavy, 2007 works quite faster on that machine and I would like to use 2007.0. The same problem I have with 2007.1 too. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Guest nik_123

[root@localhost ~]# urpmi acpi

The package(s) are already installed

[root@localhost ~]#

acpi is installed. What is apm, and how to try it?

By the way, Mandriva 2009 also contains acpi, but with it the laptop halts normally.

Edited by nik_123

I had similar happen on an old machine of mine when I had Mandriva 2007 and found in the end my BIOS was not in a good state. I re-flashed it and it started working again after that. Incidently, when I upgraded the BIOS it was working fine, but then I lost sound, so I downgraded back to the version I had, and then it still powered off OK and sound was working again.

It might not be the same issue, but I also found that if I installed other distros, it was working fine, just Mandy was a problem. I did have a bug open for it ages ago, but then I solved it when flashing the BIOS.

What you can try to do to see if you do have similar problem to me, is open a console window, su to root privileges, and then type:

poweroff

and see if it shuts down correctly? halt wouldn't work for me, but poweroff would.

Ah, greg2 you reminded me of this. I was using this at one point too albeit without the pci=noacpi, only the additional extra I had on that line was:

acpi=off apm=poweroff

so that acpi was disabled, and apm would power the machine off. It didn't always work for me though, but I found that the problem was due to the halt command, because poweroff would work for me everytime. Sadly, it meant I'd have to keep opening a console window as root to do it.