windows maximized

Guest siko9

Hi,

I did a some research in the forums but couldn't get an answer

I sometimes like to have the apps using 2/3 of the screen instead of fully maximized, the problem is that, when I close them being maximized, the next time I open the programs they are not maximized BUT using all of the screen (as if they were really maximized).

That means that clicking the maximize/unmaximize button has no practical effect. and I have to manually drag each and every window to the required size.

Is there any way to solve this ?

Btw, I am using gnome on MDK9.1.

As a second question, is it just me or a lot of programs have a tendency to use dialog windows larger than the screen? Maybe it is my fault for using an 800x600 resol in a 15" monitor, but still, the app should consider the resolution in use. Shouldn't it?

Thanks in advance.

That means that clicking the maximize/unmaximize button has no practical effect. and I have to manually drag each and every window to the required size.

Is there any way to solve this ?

you answered yourself ;)

but still, the app should consider the resolution in use. Shouldn't it?

what you want is per app. Example: some apps WILL NOT remember their position and size, but some do. It's in the code of the app. Note: some of the REAL apps like mozilla and most browsers that are heavy on devel will open max everytime....because it's in the code. Resolution? Again the code doesn't consider your resolution. You'll have to contact the devl of the apps you want to have these attributes and let them know how you feel about it, ask for it, and wait. ;)

siko9 wrote

As a second question, is it just me or a lot of programs have a tendency to use dialog windows larger than the screen? Maybe it is my fault for using an 800x600 resol in a 15" monitor, but still, the app should consider the resolution in use. Shouldn't it?

i had the same pain in the a** with dialogue boxes when i was using 800x600 resolution. i bumped the reso up to 1024x768 & all of the dialogue boxes now fit in the screen perfectly. (no more dragging/repositioning). if you try to up your resolution, you can do it in MCC->Hardware->change screen resolution. just make sure you test it before applying the settings to make sure your monitor & video card supports it. (it should, though!) you'll need to reboot for new settings to take effect.

Chris

Bad ex-Windows user. Bad.

You only have to restart X. Log out of X and restart it or do Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

:cheeky::lol2: :P

Chris

Hi guys !

Thanks for your replies.

OK, if the Apps don't consider screen resolution I guess I will have to deal with resizing.

As for going with 1024, I know how to do that, but thanks... I am blind enough as I am already :cheesy:

Cheers !