Why Fedora is a though choice

ral

The Cornell and Virginia teams should apply for their own trademark over the Fedora name in response to Red Hats attempt to usurp the use of the name.

Big business meets open source.

Edited by ral

Rh's copyright shenanigans are deplorable. Even more so their comments re linux not being ready for the desktop and recommending windows instead. Especially since the latter comment coincided with novel's acquisition of suse and ximian. It looked like they saw the arival of a significant competitor willing to make a deternmined push for the corporate desktop, one they could not compete with, and therefore tried to discredit the entire project for purely personal business gain. These actions have totally turned me off to rh.

However, rh has done, and continues to do, a lot of wonderful things for linux and OSS. They have contributed financially and technically to many open source projects and for a long time were the only significant comercial linux voice in the US. They were the only linux vendor to take SCO to court and have contributed one million dollars to a FSF defense fund to counter the SCO FUD and threats. Nobody else has stood up like this.

As linux matures and gets increasingly commercial, I think were going to see a lot more stuff like this. Companies are going to act in their own self interest and that may conflict with community interests and goals. I think we're all going to have to live in a more complex world where companies have both good and bad qualities, not unlike people. Criticise them when they do bad, applaud them when they do good and try to arrive at more measured judgments on the worth of a company based upon the entire picture.

I would agree with what you say in general terms but as one who has used Fedora shortly after its introduction, as a distro it is not a significant improvement over Red Hat 9.0. If I had unlimited finances, I would open a men's hat shop across from Red Hat's home office and offer red hat's at a discount. The resulting legal nightmare would let the courts decide if you can trademark ordinary English words, something which should have been disallowed by the dolts in the Patent Office in the the first place.

Counterspy

Edited by Counterspy

I agree with your principles and whats happened is indeed redhat being greedy and losing sight of their original roots. I do however really like Fedora as a distro, I'm hoping that the community will take over and do something usefull with it - I also hope it grows to bite RH in the ass!!!!

I think it's slightly shamefull to get `the community' to basically do the grunt work of making a distro, then for RH to swoop in and take the best bits before charging a fortune for it.

I hate all this patent / copyright stuff, don't get me started on those idiots who've patented an integer and the fools that let them do it....!!!!!!