Weird KDE error

Guest Linz

Hi!

I have some trouble with KDE for the moment. The problem is that I get the error message "Could not find mime-type application/octet-stream" every time I open a KDE application...

It's actually quite annoying... :wall:

Any idea's for fixing this error?

I'm using mdk9.2

But it looks like it has somehow been fixed... :thumbs: ...and I haven't done anything to fix it !?

This error has been in my way since yesterday and now, after I have posted about it, it fixes itself....hmm

Well, well...maybe it's back tomorrow...

EDIT: Nope, still there. :angry: Just not that frequent as earlier today

Edited by Linz

Linz,

ok.....i have MDK9.1, so your error may be 9.2 specific. but........what version of KDE are you using? is it off of the 9.2 discs, or an external install? that error has something to do with KDE having trouble reading certain mime type files. here's a Google Link with tons of info on that error, if you wanna try to weed through it.

one thing i did find out, was............check if you have the following file............

file:/usr/share/mimelnk/application->OCTET-STREAM.DESKTOP

if that file is mising, or currupted some how, it will shoot out the error you're seeing.

how to fix? again, i'm not an expert, but i would try this, in the following order, unless somebody comes up with a better method.

1. if that file is missing, add it.

2. if the file is in place, try replacing it 'cause it may be corrupted.

3. if 1 &/or 2 don't fix it, try reinstalling or upgrading KDE.

if you need & can't find a copy of that file i can e-mail you a copy of the one on my system, but note............i'm running Texstars KDE3.1.4 on MDK9.1, so i don't know if it would be compatible with what you have.

Chris

Thanks for the great reply!

I'm using KDE 3.1.3 from the 9.2 discs, but the most logical thing is that these files aren't version specific...that's my thought though...

I'm sending you a PM with my email address, so please send me a copy of that file...

(btw, the file are in place)