Alsa install / "Uneresolved symbols"

santanoo

Hi!

I am fairly new to linux, I installed Mandrake 9.1 in a logical partition and using XOSL as a bootloader for XP (work), XP (audio optimized) and MDK linux. First I had to install driver for my Intel 536ep winmodem. After struggle (version 4.62 didn't work but 4.60 did) it is working but it shows "unresolved symbols" in its module as did the alsa core module.

I have 2 sound cards 1. Audigy and 2. Midiman Delta 66. Both are detected by MDK installer and Audigy is working fine. I tried to install snd-ice1712 and Alsa drivers but could not make Delta 66 to work. Now I am getting "unresolved symbols" in the snd.o module aand alsa is not loading. Though the Audigy is playing fine (even without the alsa running). I have tried different Kernel version and respective source (2.4.21-18 and 2.4.21-25) but without any success.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Probably I am not giving enough information, please let me know if you need any further information. Is there anybody running more than 1 soundcard or running Delta 66?

Thanks

Santanoo

Oooh SORRY santanoo! you look like you slipped through the net.

Im even more sorry to say I don't have any good news!!!

If your kernel was compiled without the symbols you either need to compile your own OR find one that was.

you can use modinfo <module> and get extended info on the kernel version it was compiled for.

This would be the first step.

OR.... and you probably aren't looking for this answer .... compile your own and include the modules at the same time.

For alsacore.... you should be able to find one compiled against a common mandrake kernel ... in contribs/plf or texstar (search easy urpmi if this is a mystery to you or post back)

For the winmodem...

Are you getitng an error that the kernel is tained. If so this means its a closed driver and not GNU licensed.

In itself (in practical terms) this means if it doesn't work you need to get help from the modem driver writer/distributor.

Some stuff (like nvidia) have non GPL drivers that work very well but idealistically it isn't a good trend...

If any of this helps then good. If not at least it will go back to the top of the list :D