Gettin Rid of the "9.2" in Mandrake Shell

pmpatrick - I don't know an easy way, but I found where this image is located that is loaded as background:

/usr/share/bootsplash/themes/Mandrake/images

... several jpg's starting with vt- for different resolutions.

Maybe you can manipulate it with The Gimp ?

Thanks for tracking it down anna. There are a series of scripts for loading the theme that are a real maze, one in /etc/sysconfig called bootsplash. Tried editing there but it hung on boot so I changed it back. Took your advice and used gimp to bucket fill the images with black. Funny thing though, I still got the 9.2 in the corner but after I rebooted, no more "9.2" :D . It must load them into a temorary directory and continue to use the old ones til you reboot. I have my pristine black screen back. Thanks.

beesa, that's what I did and it hung on boot while "loading fonts" so I changed it back. Also, moved the offending images out of the directory which only made matters worse. Instead of the 9.2 in the corner, i got the blue mandrake boot screen as a background :wall::wall:

Believe me, anna's suggestion was the easiest and fastest way.

By the way, I never had this problem in 9.1.

Edited by pmpatrick

Guess we should be gratefull for small mercies.

At least its not a commerical add in the console!!!

I have to admit this osrt of stuff really irks me.

Does it happen in ALL consoles? (i.e. rxvt or aterm?)

Just asking becuase I was considering upgrading to 9.2 but I can do without this sort of customisation driving me mad.

I guess the idea is if you are a business you replace it with your corporate logo or something???

IMHO, this is very sad...when a distro seeks to differentiate itself with non-optional eye candy instead of technical excellence but thats just my 2c.

• 1 month later...