Need Help having PC access network computers

EvolutionXtinct

:wall: I'm really new to linux but have been stumbling my way through quite well but came up with a problem, I'm on the internet now but unlike RedHat I can't automatically see networked computers, is there a tutorial for setting up network accesses so I can grab MP3's off of my server and play them on my XPC? Thnx for putting up with a newbie, been looking for threads related to this for the past couple hours and havn't found any :( And also I uninstalled Mozilla 1.3 and installed 1.5 but now I have no icon to link to the program, how do you create icons and link apps in Mandrake 9.1.... hehe been battling those 2 headaches all nite :)

Thnx,

EvoX

For number 1, the easiest way is to install the wizards in MCC. Open mcc and go to software mgmt and open rpmdrake and search for 'wiz' (no quotes) and install the ones you want. The specific one is for samba. Then you'll see a new option in MCC for server configuration and you can set up your Samba shares. Accessing them from Windows is done through network neighborhood and if you want to access them from a linux box, the easiest way is to install LinNeighborhood and browse them that way.

For number 2, it depends on your desktop environment. Gnome and KDE, you just right-click the desktop just like windows and choose Launcher or Link to Application or something like that. Then you click the icon in the window that pops up to choose the icon you want and click the Command or Application tab to tell it what command to use to launch it. Does that help?