Splitting Files

Gnubie

Here's a recent similiar thread:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=9330

But seeing I am looking for something along these lines too... and that thread was more focused on audio files... I believe we are looking for something similiar to the "spandisk" option with DOS and ZIP files.

I am imageing something like having an 704 meg (or larger) ISO or ZIP file that you want to save to CD's (and clear up your HD). Is this what you are seeking? Would Ark or another file compression app work here? Any other options people?

Here's a recent similiar thread:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=9330

But seeing I am looking for something along these lines too... and that thread was more focused on audio files... I believe we are looking for something similiar to the "spandisk" option with DOS and ZIP files.

I am imageing something like having an 704 meg (or larger) ISO or ZIP file that you want to save to CD's (and clear up your HD). Is this what you are seeking?  Would Ark or another file compression app work here? Any other options people?

I did find out that it is possible to use the demo version of winzip under winex, and that does the job just fine. B)

It would be nice if there were a linux native app that did this, or if it could be done with GZ files.

I did try Ark, Gnochive, and Karchiver and none of them seem to do the job. Maybe I just didn't know what to do. :oops:

Edited by Gnubie

I use "splitpea" a command line tool. Example, say you have a 100MB file

splitpea -s name_of_file

Will split the file into 1MB files. To join together again, simply do;

splitpea -j name_of_file

just use split, its part of the GNU utils and comes standard with all GNU/Linux distros

split -b 1400k foo foo

will split foo into a series of file <=1400 KB called fooaa, fooab, fooac etc.

split -b 700m foo foo

will create 700MB files

to joing the files just concatenate them with cat

cat foo?? > foo

or if you don't want to copy all the files to one place and then join them you can use

cat /mnt/cdrom/fooaa >> foo

swap media then run

cat /mnt/cdrom/fooab >> foo

etc.

cheers,

Alaa