How to download MDK 9.2

Guest jsmith

Okay, I'm an idiot. I ran a search and found a lot on iso's and installing but I need one of those "DOWNLOADING MDK 9.2 FOR DUMMIES" things :wall: I saw one post asking for a tutorial, but I didn't see a specific reference. First: I don't know what an ISO is, and I don't know how to get started and what I do after I download to get the program on to a CD. I have used a number of past MDK releases and I have 9.1 on CD, in hand but have not installed it because of computer failure and other issues. (I am using Win XP, currently.) So, now, I'd like to just jump to 9.2 but I have run out of package money. . . so downloading looks like a great way of going if I can do it. (I have a dial-up connection.) I'll appreciate any and all advice.

Welcome to Mandrakeusers!

An iso is simply a package extension of a software bundle that is ready for burning. The Mandrake distro comes in 2 or 3 iso files. When you get them, you burn them, one iso per cdr.

Since you are on dial-up, it will take you a long time to download even one of these files. The Mandrake iso's usually are 650-700 MB in size. Also, the current release, 9.2, is only available to Club members, although Mandrake says they will be publically available at the end of October. :oops: Uhmmm, so maybe mid November? :P

What I did when I had a dial-up connection was buy the cd's at http://www.cheapbytes.com You can buy their burned sets or the official Mandrake sets for good prices! Check it out.

Thanks for the explanation and tip. I am a club member but I guess I'll order from Cheapbytes. Can I assume that Cheapbytes' burned CD's are as reliable as those I would get in a box? I've become upgrade poor.

I got some cd's once from cheapbytes that arrived soaking wet! When I e-mailed them, they responded within an hour, and sent me a new set. They are good business. I purchased 4 or 5 releases from them.

Why not just install 9.1 now and begin your journey to the open source world?

I ran 9.1 and currently run 9.2. Both are practally the same and have the same issues with me (USB card reader). If you want to upgrade later, its easy enough to do... only about 30 minutes and no hassles or constant rebooting (like windows).

Here's some good reading for you:

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/index.html