Problem with MCC wizard

MottS

Hi all

I just switched from an ADSL connection to Cable. However, my server (MDK 9.0) refuses to connect to the net normally now. Let me explain.

I have 2 ethernets cards. eth0 is connected to the Cable modem (WebSTAR) and eth1 to my LAN. When I run the MCC wizard to configure the network cards and the cable connection (dhcp), everything seems fine. However, I can't surf the net. I cannot ping anything too. When I type 'route', the default route is to eth1 even though I selected 'cable' when the wizard asked for the 'internet interface'. I uninstalled Shorewall, Iptable (and pppoe) so it's not a firewall problem....

Now, if I type 'service network stop' and starts the internet connection by hand by typing 'dhcpcd eth0', I CAN surf the net and when I type 'route' the default route is to eth0, as it is supposed to be.

So the wizard seems to have problems with this now. My setup is exactly as it was before exept that I'm on Cable instead of ADSL.

WTF?

Thanks for any input or suggestion.

MOttS

I found out the hard way that drakconnect is probably nice for the first time you configure the net, but for subsequent configuration, it does squat!

Anyway, there is a good rpm in texstar repository (maybe also contrib or mandrake club) called knetworkconf . Now that 9.2 doesn't have linuxconf installed anymore, I find this small utility a godsend in configuring network connection without mucking around with scripts / config files.

Try it, you will like it.

Thanks DragonMage. I finally found what the problem was. There is a lot of stuff related to drakconnect in /etc/sysconfig. For example:

-rw-------    1 root  root        46 nov  7 20:58 drakconnect

-rw-------    1 root  root            0 nov  7 20:58 drakconnect.cable

-rw-------    1 root  root          343 nov  7 20:58 drakconnect.netc

and some other stuff in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/. So I deleted all the files starting with 'drakconnect' and rerun drakconnect. I did exactly the same as usual and it worked. I guess the wizard was too stupid to actually take my inputs and put it in the files. I forced it to write my settings to the files by deleting them before starting the wizard.. hehe.

Thanks!

MOttS