my dsl linksys and my linux

newbie4ever

Well, I'm going to install mandrake 9.2 soon over my old mandrake 9.0. I never did use mandrake 9.0 much because I could never ever get it to work with my brand new ethernet card, the sis 900. Well, its not accutally a card, its part of the motherboard. I'm writing this from windows cause I cannot online with linux on my new computer, only my old one, and I never ever got the old mandrake 8.2 machine to work with my linksys. The only reason I have internet on that one is because someone else set it up for me. I remmber it was a real pain and took days and days to get the dsl to work.

Well, I'm hoping that my new mandrake distro is going to be even easier than the past ones and set up my nice ethernet and dsl connection with my linksys router for me. Is mandrake easy enough or is there an easier distro?

The Sis900 module is available in mandrake 9.2 (at least checking in the kernel source). If mandrake doesn't set it up properly for any reason, you can just type this command as root

modprobe sis900

then when you want it permanent, edit your /etc/modules.conf so that there is this line

alias ethX sis900

in which X is a number, usually 0 if you only have one networking card.

Now, since you have a linksys router.. that means that most of the hard work setting up DSL connection is done by your router. So all you have to do is to get an IP from your router, either by dhcp or set it up yourselves. Drakconnect in 9.2 (and even 9.1) will help your tremendously in doing this.

Note that you have to check the LAN connection, not ADSL connection when configuring drakconnect in 9.2 since what you have now with your linksys router is a LAN.

Anyway, you shouldn't have any problem whatsoever in setting up 9.1 or above to work with your linksys route. If you do, just come back to this board and ask away your questions. We will be glad to help.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I was finnally able to get all 3 cds of the download edition, and then I did an upgrade install. I configured my ethernet. Now when ever I boot into linux, it says the eth0 failed, then later on, I get a black screen with no text. I would like to keep the packages I got with my mandrake 9.0 powerpack, but if not I guess I will just have to reinstall because getting on the internet is more important. I will miss all the kde games though.

Upgrade installs are evil. I have never successfully gotten one to work. Even when I first had 9.2 running as an updated version from cooker, my fresh install works perfectly, where the other did not.

Well, I went ahead installed 9.2 and completly got rid of the 9.0 install, but STILL cannot get conected to the net. It looks like the ethernet driver is set up just fine, but when I boot up, it won't connect, and I went to try and configue it, and it looks like I am missing some info.

Do I need a gateway? IP? Netmask? dchp? Where can I get thesse?

I've read a bit, and found a procedure that has been shown on other computers. I've even had success getting a different etherent card to connect to a LAN and through to DSL on the other computer on this network. The driver appeared to install okay. I entered a new local (static) IP and the gateway IP as I did on the other computer, as part of the Network Wizard. It appeared to save the changes. When I open DrakConnect, it knows the hardware device and domain name. The problem is that it immediately tries to connect to the internet and has problems (top box: Internet) Furthermore, a symptom (or another problem) shows up in the LAN box: it is shown as having "no IP" which is silly because it's a static IP and should know it despite being down. When I click on "LAN Setup", I try to change eth0's IP address, and then "OK" it. Back at the display screen, it still thinks there is "no IP". Clicking on the "LAN setup" again, it appears to have forgotten my entry. (nor does it read it from the file that Hardware Setup remembers).

I close "DrakConnect" and it says it is syncing the system (good, now the menu should display changes). But when I reopen DrakConnect, it is once again stupid to the fact that I tried to change the device's IP. It has updated the display to reflect that I changed the domain name, for example.

Actually, most of DrakConnect is fully dynamic and does not need X refreshes.... but how much?

Is something crashing?

Does the device not have an IP despite the system being configured to give it one? In other words, is its "having an IP" contingent on being LAN connected despite being static? How can I LAN connect without an IP? Catch 22.

I tried Dynamic local IP also, with no luck either. The router refuses to give it an IP. Is my sis900 defective, or is my cable bad?

the command "ping (router IP)" spits back "Network is unreachable", which is obvious.

You said, I beleive, that you nic is on-board. What is your motherboard/chipset? Have you assigned an irq to the nic in the bios? Remember, windex ignors the bios, where linux uses the bios to set up you hardware.

I also have had no problem with linux and various nics, including linkssy and a router. When you make changes, linux will ask if you want to restart services. Just answer yes, and the network services stop and restart with the new configuration.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for suggesting a BIOS fix. When I got back to the problem this weekend, I tried a bunch of tricks with ifconfig and route and drakconnect, and noticed that there was no irq for eth0.

So I went into BIOS and found an option for on-board PCI devices, and it wanted to auto-assign PCI irqs but trusting that it was doing this already, I found one option for eth0 "sis900 boot rom enable/disable".

I enabled it, returned to boot, and good news...

now I can ping the other devices on the LAN, and the route and ifconfig tables look as they should.

Unfortunately, I can still only connect to the internet in windows. What's strange is that I can ping the router, and use mozilla to look at the settings on the router like I can from windows or the other computer,

and even look at the IP of the WAN side of this router, but if I try to ping or browse the DNS that the router's menu lists (one that I've proven to work on the other computer and in Windows), I don't get anything. Furthermore I can't access yahoo.com or things on the Internet besides the internet side of the router. The router works on both OSes on the other computer, and in windows on this computer, so I guess I can't blame the router.

DrakConnect of course says that my internet connection doesn't work. My gateway and DNS are of course set same as the other computer, and same as in windows on the given computer.

I checked services and have "internet", "samba" "network", etc. all running. What gives?

boot up and see what's in /etc/resolv.conf

if it's empty, that's your problem. to fix it, you could just find out what your DNS servers are from your windows side, and put:

nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where the xxx stuff is the IP of your DNS servers. you should have two, that's standard.