Sony DRU-500AX DVD burner problems

Steve Scrimpshire

I have the above burner using scsi emulation installed and never really had a problem with it, but I did see sometimes this message in /var/log/messages:

Nov  2 22:41:32 omarserenity kernel: ide-scsi: The scsi wants to send us more data than expected - discarding data
Nov  2 22:41:32 omarserenity kernel: ide-scsi: [[ 46 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 8 0 0 0 ]
Nov  2 22:41:32 omarserenity kernel: ]
Nov  2 22:41:32 omarserenity kernel: ide-scsi: expected 8 got 16 limit 8
Nov  2 22:41:32 omarserenity kernel: ide-scsi: transferred 8 of 16 bytes
Nov  2 22:41:32 omarserenity kernel: sr0: mmc-3 profile: 0h
Nov  2 22:41:32 omarserenity kernel: cdrom: open failed.

Now, it is actually causing me troubles and I see that message. I was trying to install Freespace and it moves the Total install bar like 1% and then dies. Not only that, but subsequent attempts to unmount /dev/scd1 tell me that the device is busy and I have to reboot to get it to unmount. Any ideas?

Update: This has to do with trying to use the Freespace installer from icculus.org. I've tried it with and without scsi emulation. I can manually mount and unmount the DVD burner all day and access it, but if I try to run the freespace installer it gives me the above error and even after quitting the freespace installer I cannot unmount it anymore. It tells me 'Device busy'. I cannot kill the mount processes either...no error, just cannot kill them. I wonder which one of these causes the problem:

(1) I have the DVD version of Freespace

(2) My DVD burner is set up as slave (/dev/scd1)

TIA

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Oh. Forgot to say supermount is not enabled. I thought people knew me well enough to know I hate supermount. :jester: Default kernel. It's the 2.4.22-10mdk-i686-up-4GB one.

I also edited my post and added an update.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire