Mandrake9 with I845G chipset and Realtek8139 network adapter

Guest jooyoous

Guest jooyoous

Hello,

I installed Mandrake9 on my PC with an existing OS (windows2k) on partition C. The mainboard's chipset is Intel845G with Intel Extreme Graphics. The Intel website says

Linux* drivers for the Intel® 82845G graphics controller have been released for distribution to interested parties and directly to the XFree86* † website. Future releases of most Linux distributions should contain native Intel 82845G graphics controller support.

Detailes see link http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/inte...l845g/linux.htm

I thought Mandrake9 should be compatible with the Intel Extreme Graphics. However, after installation, my computer cannot startup xWindows, indicating no video signal.

And, my motherboard supports the wakeup function by network adapter, but my network adapter cannot be brought up during the startup spell.

Thanks for your support 8)

Jooyoous

Last I heard, a couple of months ago, the 845G wasn't going to be supported until the 2.5 kernel, which I think is expected first quarter of 2003?? You can get it now at http://kernel.org/ but it's in devel and you might have to do some patching to it, which is always suggested anyway for performance. I've run it with very few probs, but I run a basic config on a 2 year old pc.

As far as the Realtek goes

http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=897

http://mandrakeforum.com/article.php?sid=2459

Re: ML 9.0 Problem with realtek 8139 on Shuttle SS51g (Score: 0)

by Anonymous on Wednesday, October 02 @ 01:58:23 PDT

Great !!

I had exactly the same problem as described in Cooker list on my brand new, shiny and tiny Shuttle SS51G (SIS651 FlexATX motherboard). The onboard Realtek 8139 ethernet card was recognized, the appropriate modules were loaded but the network could not be activated. This was my last showstopper.

The "noapic" trick fixes the problem.

Now I can move my main environment to 9.0.

Beyond the USB?

So far, we know that this problem affects ML 9.0 on some HP e-pc 40 machines, but there may be other systems on which the same scenario applies (that's why we want to get that feedback from you).

FInally, there is one more thing to consider: so far this problem has manifested itself as "USB doesn't work" in ML 9.0, but I did a little search on Google, and found out that problems with APIC can manifest in a different way too:

1. System freezing on boot, or at a later time

2. Instable system

3. other periferials (network cards, SCSI controllers...) not working.

4. System freezing when some new hardware piece is added to it.

I'm definitively not an expert on this, but it looks like "noapic" is a first thing to try whenever a weird problem of the "simple periferias not working" or "why is this so instable now?" type occurs.

Too wierd. I have an Epox 4G4M+ w/i845G & integrated Realtek 8139 and I haven't had any problems that I would consider out of the ordinary.

Sorry :cry:

The only thing I have noticed that is not appropriate is that, on boot the listing says that I am short on PCI IRQs. Which really doesn't matter because the 4G4M+ is totally integrated and I have no PCI Cards installed.

Looking in my KDE Control Center I see that there are a lot of things from Intel that the OS doesn't recognize but is forcing anyway. Like the sound chip is being run as i810. ML9 recognizes USB controllers but not the hubs. But then again, I am a 8nix n00bie and that may be my own fault.

Had attempted install of SuSE 8 when I first built it and it didn't recognize the sound at all.

First two times I installed ML9 it worked but was flakey. Those two attempts were done with a 52x cd-rom. Then, ezroller and I did install with 24x/10x HP burner and has been rock solid ever since. The only thing non-standard we did was use ReiserFS formatting instead of default format.

Good Luck