webcam software for Linux

coverup

My webcam is branded as Skymaster SC-834, but lsusb reports the device as ID 0c45:62c0 Microdia. The camera works out of the box, both with Mandriva 2008.0 and Ubuntu 9.04 unlike my previous Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000, which I could not get to work with Ubuntu. I believe this new camera uses the kernel module uvcvideo.

The only problem is that the image is inverted left to right :-) I am wondering if there is software solution to this problem. The camera naturally comes with some Windows software, which I suppose should do the trick on a windows machine.

Thanks for the idea... Does it allow you to change configuration for the webcam so that you can use it with other software? I need to use it with skype.

Cheese cannot find the webcam, but mencoder and skype can! Here is the output I get from cheese. Does this make any sense at all?

$ cheese
** Message: Probing the webcam, please ignore the following, not applicabable tries
** Message: Error running pipeline 'v4l2src ! fakesink': Could not get buffers from device '/dev/video0'. [v4l2src_calls.c(1025): gst_v4l2src_capture_init (): /pipeline0/v4l2src0:
error requesting 0 buffers: Cannot allocate memory]
[v4l2src ! fakesink]: Could not get buffers from device '/dev/video0'.
** Message: Error running pipeline 'v4lsrc ! video/x-raw-rgb,width=640,height=480 ! fakesink': Could not get/set settings from/on resource. [v4l_calls.c(409): gst_v4l_set_chan_norm (): /pipeline1/v4lsrc0:
Error setting the channel/norm settings: Invalid argument]
[v4lsrc ! video/x-raw-rgb,width=640,height=480 ! fakesink]: Could not get/set settings from/on resource.
** Message: Error running pipeline 'v4lsrc ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480 ! fakesink': Could not get/set settings from/on resource. [v4l_calls.c(409): gst_v4l_set_chan_norm (): /pipeline2/v4lsrc1:
[v4lsrc ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480 ! fakesink]: Could not get/set settings from/on resource.
** Message: Error running pipeline 'v4lsrc ! video/x-raw-rgb,width=320,height=240 ! fakesink': Could not get/set settings from/on resource. [v4l_calls.c(409): gst_v4l_set_chan_norm (): /pipeline3/v4lsrc2:
[v4lsrc ! video/x-raw-rgb,width=320,height=240 ! fakesink]: Could not get/set settings from/on resource.
** Message: Error running pipeline 'v4lsrc ! video/x-raw-rgb,width=1280,height=960 ! fakesink': Could not get/set settings from/on resource. [v4l_calls.c(409): gst_v4l_set_chan_norm (): /pipeline4/v4lsrc3:
[v4lsrc ! video/x-raw-rgb,width=1280,height=960 ! fakesink]: Could not get/set settings from/on resource.
** Message: Error running pipeline 'v4lsrc ! video/x-raw-rgb,width=160,height=120 ! fakesink': Could not get/set settings from/on resource. [v4l_calls.c(409): gst_v4l_set_chan_norm (): /pipeline5/v4lsrc4:
[v4lsrc ! video/x-raw-rgb,width=160,height=120 ! fakesink]: Could not get/set settings from/on resource.
** Message: Error running pipeline 'v4lsrc ! fakesink': Could not get/set settings from/on resource. [v4l_calls.c(409): gst_v4l_set_chan_norm (): /pipeline6/v4lsrc5:
[v4lsrc ! fakesink]: Could not get/set settings from/on resource.
using source: videotestsrc
OIL: ERROR liboiltest.c 403: oil_test_check_impl(): function sad8x8_8xn_u8_psadbw in class sad8x8_8xn_u8 failed check (266654 > 0) || (outside=0)

Thanks for the idea... Does it allow you to change configuration for the webcam so that you can use it with other software? I need to use it with skype.

Cheese is just a normal program to display the output of the webcam and to allow you to take snapshots, it can't help you with skype.

With regards to the errors you are getting with cheese I don't know what it causing them. Are you perhaps trying to run cheese while some other program (skype/mencoder) is already using the webcam? Only a single program can use the webcam at any given moment.

Cheese is just a normal program to display the output of the webcam and to allow you to take snapshots, it can't help you with skype.

With regards to the errors you are getting with cheese I don't know what it causing them. Are you perhaps trying to run cheese while some other program (skype/mencoder) is already using the webcam? Only a single program can use the webcam at any given moment.

I see... In that case, it's not worth trying to fix it :-) Thanks anyway.