Real player 8 & Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128 sound card

manza7

I have a Linux server sitting in a network closet but from time to time would like to be able to view some video without sound, I installed real player 8 but it came up with "cannot open audio device, another application may be using it" and will not play clip.

I don't need sound, how can I get around this? I think I have a CL Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128 but cannot verify since this system is a server and I cannot shut down to open up and find out, but I know for sure there is a sound card in there.

Please help. Thanks

I'm guessing you use KDE? If so its not a problem with the sound card, but with the way your system is set up. KDE has a sound deamon called arts which is meant to allow multiple apps to use the card at once. The problem is that non-arts apps sometimes have prblems using the sound card while arts is running. There is a link on another thread (search for realplayer) that takes you to a version of Realplayer that supposedly is not affected.

Gnome doesn't use arts, but I think it has a program which does the same job. I'd suggest testing that this is actaully the problem first. Try logging into IceWM instead of Gnome and try running RealPlayer from a terminal. If it works then it would seem you've found your problem. I don't use Gnome but I'm guessing that the sound controls can be found in the Gnome config program.