Can't figure out: /dev/audio device or resource busy

Guest lostpoet

Guest lostpoet

I have looked hard for the answer to this for 2 days.

My sound will play only through aRts and everything else says "/dev/audio device or resource busy" I see my sound CS42** started twice on start up. I have fiddled with every setting I can find and nothing works. Any ideas?

MDK 9.2 and I'm working in KDE.

I've had similar problems on my desktop, but strangely not on my laptop. The reason is that arts is hogging the sound device and not letting non-arts apps use it. If you log in with IceWM (or whatever) all me apps start working. I'm trying to figure out what is causing it to mess up, but as a temporary solution you can set KDE not to load arts at login.

KDE control centre -> sound -> arts (2nd entry) at the top of the first tag there is a tick box for setting to laod at log in.

Guest lostpoet

I just figured out how insidious the aRts program is. It's been restarting the artsd when I run some programs. I have to go back and kill it to free sound up again. If I go to Remove Software and try to uninstall it, the thing wants to uninstall everything because of dependencies. If I just remove the program from /usr/bin and hide it somewhere, will this stop it from running without really hurting anything?

A simple and relatively safe way to test might be to just rename it to not-artsd or something like that so programs can't find it, but it's still there if it causes a problem and all you to do is log into the rescue with CD1 and change the name back. Easier than removing it and then trying to fix it later.

Guest lostpoet

I am happy to report success. I renamed the file as you suggested and nothing bad has happened. I restarted and nothing was stopped from running. KDE started fine too. If I run Kaboodle it opens but doesn't play. It was one of the programs starting artsd. I use MPlayer instead anyway. Thanks for the help. Maybe they will get arts fixed later.