Changing the hostname.

tvlad

hi folks,

I installed the mandrake 9.0 distribution on my PC -

succesfully.

Some small switches may have to be done for the

correct integration of the local network.

Config: PC AMD 300 Mhz, Windows {lan server, status: ok}

PC AMD 800 Mhz, Mandrake Linux 9.0{lan client, status running}

PC AMD 1200 Mhz, Mandrake Linux 9.0 {lan client, status running}

and two windows pc, relatively stable running system.

descripion of problem:

the computers are not knowing one another only by IP,

but not by name.

That means, ping <IP> gives result, but ping <name> not.

Normally I think, the system must know the computers connected

to the local network by name and IP automatically.

Could it be possible that you must hack in the whole

network in the configuration mask of the network config

manually ?

makra

The only way I've found to get around this is to edit the linux boxes /etc/hosts file and add the other computers in there manually:

<ip> <desired-name>

I know there must be a better solution to this because its kinda a pain in the but if you have dhcp and the ip address are changing all the time.

What version of windows is running on your server? And also do the windows computers know each other by name? If your WINS server is setup correctly they should.

hi...

The only way I've found to get around this is to edit the linux boxes /etc/hosts file and add the other computers in there manually:

<ip>  <desired-name>

I know there must be a better solution to this because its kinda a pain in the but if you have dhcp and the ip address are changing all the time.

What version of windows is running on your server? And also do the windows computers know each other by name? If your WINS server is setup correctly they should.

thanks for quick replay. I remember, have seen it long ago

at sysadmins computer. So, I will run the VI for that :-)

The whole net is a mixture of Win2K, Win98, WinNT and linux.

WinNT is installed on the server.

The windows-network knows the names and IP of all computers

in the network, when I have typed in the name of the server

and it´s IP.

So I think, I could be less afraid of the # and change the

settings in /ect/hosts.

I think the problem is solved prmaryly

thanks.

makra

Alternatively you could run the network setup wizard from the Mandrake Control Centre. Part of the setup is choosing the domian and host.

I downloaded and installed the 9.0 iso files. The network setup wizards don't appear to be installed on my system. Are they only available in the purchased versions? Or did I do something wrong during my install?

Thanks.

Guest urbanotter

Hi mtf169

Yes, the Mandrake control center should be on the downloaded isos. It will appear on the desktop as a monitor with wrench on it. I had a problem with it not getting installed in 8.2, but it worked in9.0

If you don't have the icon, try opening a terminal as root and typing "drakconf". If that doesn't bring it up then it isn't installed. Look for the drakconf rpm on your cds.

If it is installed it should open up with a series of icons in a column on the left and some info about your machine in the big box on the right. Click on the icon labled "Connection" or "Networking" (I'm not sitting infront of my linux machine right now or I'd check to make sure which -- but the icon is one of the globe). That should bring up some info about your connection in the large window on the right. In it is a button labled "wizard" near the bottom right. That's the Network Setup Wizard you are looking for.

Good luck,

urbanotter

Thanks for the help! However, the wizards I'm really interested in are the ones for Samba, FTP, etc. On Mandrake's site they show pictures of those wizards, but they aren't showing up in my "drakconf." I have so much to learn about linux :).