BIOS Setup to default and modem probs

sud_crow

Short story:

I was setting up Win98 for my brother, installed the Sygate Firewall Pro 5, and i was configuring it when it froze, this was a win98se fresh install...

is this normal ? ;) hehehehe.

Anyway, the problem is that when i touched the reboot button in the Case,

the PC should have (?) rebooted, but it didnt, the monitor LED was blinking while the CPU and HD lights where "doing something".

So i went again with the case button. This time booted, but the BIOS Setup was set back to all default values.

So i lost the personal configuration, where i seted up the Modem IRQ, DMA and other stuff....

When i go to windows, it says COM 3, but it isnt working in thatone, and before was on COM 1 (in Linux, dont remember in windows) but its not working either, it says modem not found.

im using wvdial. dont have KPPP.

any suggestions???

I NEED INTERNET!!!

Where to start?

Is the modem on-board or seperate?

com3 is essentially the same as com1, and should have an option to choose com1 if com3 does not work.

Ok, problem solved. Anyway i will detail just to help future .....whatever.

Here i go:

I have a Wisecom Accelerator Pro 56k

Its a ISA modem, and its quite good.

In windows, it says COM 3, and IRQ 11, dont know the DMA (if it uses one)

And worked without any problems, no resource conflicts or any other issues.

But in Linux works in COM1 (ttyS0), what i did to make it work?

When i booted to Linux, the modem couldnt be found by the dialer, this means it didnt found it in any port from com1 to com3 (com4 for some reason is disabled)

So i knew it had something to do with IRQs or COMs, then i started looking at the BIOS and seted the IRQ 11 exclusively for ISA (there is the option), this didnt work, and i tryed other IRQs and added DMAs, wouldnt work either.... then chequing i found that the serial ports where using COM1 and COM2 but it didnt sayd it anywhere, i just realised, it just showed a default address and IRQ, then as i dont have actually any serial device i just switched them off. I still have to try if i change the address what happens.

I have a CUV4X motherboard by the way.

Note: just did this in case someone runs the same problem, as leaving the thread empty wouldnt help.

thanks for the hand Ixthusdan.