Installing 2.4.22-10mdk kernel source

heather1113

I've installed the download edition of 9.2 and discovered it did not come with the kernel source so after much searching I found it and downloaded it in rpm format. My question is are there any special steps I need to take when installing it like things to edit etc.? The reason I ask is I don't want to repeat the previous mistake I made when I upgraded my kernel on 9.1 and found I couldn't get back in.

Thank you in advance

Kernel-source is no problem to add and no editing is required. You can even do it from Mandrake Update w/o a problem. But the kernel itself is another story!

For future reference; Here's the best way to upgrade a kernel in Mandrake:

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/kernelupdate.php

Just follow the steps carefully. Ignore the PPC part unless you are running a Mac.

I learned to use the --test switch with both rpm and urpmi. It runs without actually installing anything (simulates an install) and either tells you the install is possible, or it tells you what is wrong so you can fix it. The code is

# urpmi --test  whatevertherpmnameis.rpm

OR

# rpm --test whatevertherpmnameis.rpm

If it is "possible to install" then run it again without the --test switch in the command and it will install it. This is a great way to check things _before_ you actually run the command. Many thanks to Aru for teaching me this!

If you need help, let us know and lots of people here are willing to help! :)

There is just a bug in Mandrake Update when it comes to installing a kernel, so it not only kills the ability to boot into the new kernel, but the old kernel as well, that's why I figured that's what happened. The proper way to do it is to download it from a mirror, just like you did the kernel source you found and install it by typing (as root, in a console in the same directory that you downloaded it):

rpm -ivh kernel-<<whatever>>

Don't use the U option, because that's what kills it in Mandrake Update....it removes your old kernel. Then go to Mandrake Control Center (or type drakboot) and make sure there is a new entry for it in lilo or grub, whichever you use. If you have your urpmi sources set up right, you can even just

urpmi kernel

and, of course, check with drakboot, to make sure the new entry is there and correct.