How do I remove Internet Connection Sharing

Guest SDMF

I posted this a few days ago in the networking forum, but ahve gotten no replies yet, so I though I would try here.

I tried setting up connection sharing, but don't have an extra ethernet card yet to run the connection over to my other computer, and it now has eth0 set up as a DHCP server. This means that, as long as ICS is enabled, I have no internet. I can remedy this by going into ICS and disabling it. However, the next time I reboot, ICS is enabled again. Is there a way to just get rid of ICS?

Open up 'rpmdrake-remove' and search for 'DHCP'. Remove 'dhcp-common' and 'dhcp=server'. Also, go in the MCC->System->Services and uncheck 'dhcpd' and 'named' if they are still there so that these services don't start when you boot up your computer. I think this should do the thing..

MOttS

Thanks. Did it, but don't feel like rebooting right now to check it. I'm sure that should do the trick. I was looking for some package to remove called ICS or connection-sharing, or something, but couldn't find anything. Just needed to know the right packages to look for.

OK, I just booted back up, and same problem happened. Named is not selected as running on boot, and I removed the packages you said to. When I to to the ICS setup in the Control Center, it tells me that it is configured and enabled, and I have to go in and disable it, like before.

Don't trust the MCC for ICS status.. don't know why but if I 'service dhcpd stop' and go to MCC->Network->ICS, it tells me that it is enabled also. Is dhcpd still listed in MCC->System->Services? If you can access the web then it is not there anymore and it's ok I guess..

MOttS

• 2 weeks later...

But now you have to firewall at all..

You could try to remove /etc/shorewall/rules (if that still exist) and reinstall shorewall.

The ICS was probably still there because all the masquerading commands was still in the rules file (not sure here.. )

MOttS