Super user filemanager (Konquerer)

Earny

I took the risk (well not without saving the other saving dir in my hom dir).

Lots of savers in my new dir (usr/share/<applnk/screensavers) (you may say it works. The problem is that they don't appear in KDE screensaver menu. They are simlply unfindable for KDE. The only thing I got more are lines (very boring)

I first deleted the /usr/share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers directory (or better I moved the data to my personal directory in order to prevent definitive loss of data). Than I uninstalled kdeartwork after which I reinstalled it again. in the newly created /usr/share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers directory there are 23 screensavers now. However, in the kde menu (appearing after config>kde>look and feel>screensafers) there are only 3 savers visible (blank screen, lines and random). I wonder to what files these three savers referred to, so I looked for files with similar namess and whcich started with K (using Kfind). I found these in /usr/ with the extention (I mean ending with) .kss. However all 23 screensavers in the /usr/share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers directory appear there, Is this a help?

Thanks for your help (even during hours when most people sleep)

earny

Hi again earny,

hmm, I am not sure, but I guess you tried a different way than the one I suggested - you deleted a whole dir first? I don't understand why.

And did you uninstall the kdeartwork package via the MCC?

What did you do with the symbolic link - that was the important part?

You had set the link by typing in your /usr/share

ln -s ./applnk-mdk/.hidden ./applnk-mdk.hidden

When you navigate with konqueror to /usr/share you can see this link - the name is: applnk-mdk.hidden (its not a directory)

I am a bit lost here. Maybe someone else can can be more helpfull than I ?

It worked. The only thing I needed to do was to uninstall kdeartwork and reinstall it again. I discovered that all the savers used are in applnk-mdk.hidden/screensavers. Whenever you download another screensaver with the extension .desktop, you only have to place it in applnk-mdk.hidden./screensavers. applnk-mdk.hidden may not be a directory, but it more or less behaves like that.

Thanks for the help and regards.

Earny

A note for great helper, ANNA and others.

Open up Konqueror and click on VIEW then click on SHOW HIDDEN FOLDERS.

Go to /usr/share/applnk-mdk/.hidden/screensavers.

in there you will see a .directory, open it with Kwrite and you will most likely see a text something along the lines of

[Desktop Entry]

Name=ScreenSavers

Icon=applications_sections.png

Type=Directory

Name [eng_Gb] = ScreenSavers

This entry is wrong and needs to be edited to read PRECISELY as follows:-

[Desktop Entry]

Icon=go,png

Type=Directory

X-KDE-BaseGroup=screensavers

Name [en]=ScreenSavers

Upper and lower case must be correct as shown.

Save the changes and reboot. All yor screensavers should now reappear in KDE.

Cheers and hope this helps everyone.

PS this only applies to Screensavers that have got lost and not to screensavers that have not already been installed.

• 2 months later...

AussieJohn:

Many Thanks !!!!

I had tried several fixes for this problem, yours was the only one which fixed it.

I've taken the liberty of passing it onto some other sufferers at the thread below:-

Cheers, Mate...

http://www.mandrakeclub.com/modules.php?op...rum=11&start=30

Edited by jimdunn